Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm! what can I use this space for?

Hmmm! what can I use this space for?

Some of you already know that my wife and I have been living in an apartment. I lived in apartments all my life. We've finally closed escrow on a house a few days ago and we are moving in Wednesday. House comes with a two car detached garage. Ofcourse, cars will be off-limits.

The garage is about 17' x 19'. Some of the built-in storage reduce the size to 17' x 16' though. I am not sure if I will keep the built-ins or not. I may keep them to house a compressor or a cyclone in the future. I don't think I will be buying any major tools in the near future but gradually I will acquire items as my budget allows.

The previous owners had left behind some items. I purchased the 16 gallon/5 HP Ridgid shopvac for $29. Don't know if its any good but I couldn't resist the low price.

There is a crude folding work bench, which is supported by what is underneath it. I think I will keep it for now.

I plan to get my jet mini lathe out of the storage very soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails site 1.jpg   site 2.jpg   site 3.jpg   site 4.jpg  

Congratulations on the new place. Good looking naked shop. Don't worry you will have all that space used up in no time.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Congrats on the new digs, the first thing ya need to do is set up your jet and get some curlies on that floor, then you'll probly be in the market for a band saw.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Congradulation! I hope you get that lathe up and running as soon as you can. Now maybe we'll be able to see some of them nice seg turnings i've heard of. i wish you the best of luck and i think your gonna love not living in them apartments any more.
    Steve

Congrats. You are setting the right precedence by not letting your cars find out there is a nice enclosed space that they might use. No, no, no . . . bad car . . . sleep outside.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Congratulations and best wishes on your new shop, I mean home.

Looks like you'll be putting it to good use very soon.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Congratulations to you and your wife. What a wonderful new adventure. I'm sure you'll fill up that space in no time. Definitely no cars in the garage! I have a Ridgid shop vac and it's not bad. I'm really happy for you.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Congratulations Mohammad and Mrs. Mohammad!

Looks like you have some electrical out there by the garage door. Any other circuits or a sub-panel? Just curious, not a big deal if that's the only circuit, got by with only one in my last couple of garages. Just gets to be a hassle switching the extension cord around or walking back to the house to reset the breaker.

As for the built-ins, it's probably best to plan the space as if they didn't exist, then see if they can be incorporated. Start with your ideal layout and work towards that as a goal.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses...
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Oh, one more thing coming from one who lived in an apartment but has spent the last 37 years collecting junk... don't
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

WOOT!!

That looks to have a LOT of potential, have fun and take pictures!

heck of a crack in the driveway
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward