Thread: best finish for oak and mahogany

Thumbs down best finish for oak and mahogany

I have some oak from when I redid my steps to my recroom and some mahogany boards that was laying around my shop and wanted to make some treasure/ jewerly boxes. Could I just use blo with a sealcoat of dewaxed shellac ? any opinions would be helpful.
    Last edited by Greg Labacz; 12-02-2010 at 04:58 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    for a jewelry box that would be fine or BLO and wipe on poly either gloss or sating finish or gloss and knock down the gloss if you prefer.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Los Angeles, CA
    I will let more experienced members answer your question. I just wanted to welcome you to the form.

Delton, Michigan
    a jewlry box or keepsake box generally isnt to large, so you could use rattle can spray lacquer as well as the other really done have any restriction on those woods..the oak is generally pretty porous so it would take alot coats to fill in the grain if yur after a glass finish but if yu want just a protective coat and a satin look and feel, then wipe on poly will be good for handling.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Outside the beltway
    If you want to fill the grain cigarette ash works in a pitch, with a quick hand polish shellac / alcohol 50/50. then a spray bomb or lacquer to finish it off.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::