Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captive ring goblet

Captive ring goblet

Ok I have always wanted to try doing one of these and we had a demo yesterday at our clubs meeting. Seemed pretty straight forward. I still have some work to do sanding the rings but the goblet turned out ok, I think. It is done out of a chunk of honduran gumwood that I saved from an old futon I once owned. Just a buffed wax finish on it so far I will do an epoxy inside so it is usable. Is there any other coating for the inside that is better than an expoxy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails captive ring goblet 001 - Copy.JPG   captive ring goblet 003 - Copy.JPG   Captive ring goblet 005 - Copy.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Very nice, Drew.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Drew really nice looking goblet.I've made a few goblets, but never a captive ring one. Did you use a captive ring tool or just a skew chisel?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Ok I have always wanted to try doing one of these and we had a demo yesterday at our clubs meeting. Seemed pretty straight forward. I still have some work to do sanding the rings but the goblet turned out ok, I think. It is done out of a chunk of honduran gumwood that I saved from an old futon I once owned. Just a buffed wax finish on it so far I will do an epoxy inside so it is usable. Is there any other coating for the inside that is better than an expoxy?

Drew,
    Love the rings... haven't tried them yet myself, maybe next year..

I don't know if it's better or not, but I use a plexi-glas solution inside my goblets... it's the same solution some use as a finish on their pens... I never could make it work on pens, but it seems to do good on the inside of my goblets...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I made the captive ring tool out of an old round file that I had. Flattened the end like a skew and then filed the ring groove into it. I need to make it bigger though as it was a chain saw file that I used and it just wasn't big enough.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Drew,
    I use a plexi-glas solution inside my goblets... it's the same solution some use as a finish on their pens... I never could make it work on pens, but it seems to do good on the inside of my goblets...
    Is that stuff food safe so that it will not react with drinking liquids?

Really nice goblet and the rings look nice.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice drew. I like the shape of the goblet and the rings look delicate.

A Futon!!?? Holy cow...it's a great looking goblet anyway I think the base would show the rings more if it were smooth to the stem...just MHO
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    A Futon!!?? Holy cow...it's a great looking goblet anyway I think the base would show the rings more if it were smooth to the stem...just MHO
    All critisisms welcome Jim. I was just playing around with the shape as i have not turned a goblet before either.

I bought the futon when I was a single dad raising two boys and I was tight on space living in a small one bed room place. It served it's purpose then and is doing it again now. I am going to make the kids something special out of the futon as it was a kind of special time.