Captive ring goblet

Drew Watson

Ok I have always wanted to try doing one of these and we had a demo yesterday at our clubs meeting. Seemed pretty straight forward. I still have some work to do sanding the rings but the goblet turned out ok, I think. It is done out of a chunk of honduran gumwood that I saved from an old futon I once owned. Just a buffed wax finish on it so far I will do an epoxy inside so it is usable. Is there any other coating for the inside that is better than an expoxy?

Attachments

• captive ring goblet 001 - Copy.JPG
    captive ring goblet 001 - Copy.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 47
  • captive ring goblet 003 - Copy.JPG
    captive ring goblet 003 - Copy.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Captive ring goblet 005 - Copy.JPG
    Captive ring goblet 005 - Copy.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 35
Ok I have always wanted to try doing one of these and we had a demo yesterday at our clubs meeting. Seemed pretty straight forward. I still have some work to do sanding the rings but the goblet turned out ok, I think. It is done out of a chunk of honduran gumwood that I saved from an old futon I once owned. Just a buffed wax finish on it so far I will do an epoxy inside so it is usable. Is there any other coating for the inside that is better than an expoxy?

Drew,
Love the rings... haven't tried them yet myself, maybe next year.. :dunno:

I don't know if it's better or not, but I use a plexi-glas solution inside my goblets... it's the same solution some use as a finish on their pens... I never could make it work on pens, but it seems to do good on the inside of my goblets...

I made the captive ring tool out of an old round file that I had. Flattened the end like a skew and then filed the ring groove into it. I need to make it bigger though as it was a chain saw file that I used and it just wasn't big enough.

A Futon!!??:rofl::rofl: Holy cow...it's a great looking goblet anyway:thumb: I think the base would show the rings more if it were smooth to the stem...just MHO:eek:

A Futon!!??:rofl::rofl: Holy cow...it's a great looking goblet anyway:thumb: I think the base would show the rings more if it were smooth to the stem...just MHO:eek:

All critisisms welcome Jim. I was just playing around with the shape as i have not turned a goblet before either.

I bought the futon when I was a single dad raising two boys and I was tight on space living in a small one bed room place. It served it's purpose then and is doing it again now. I am going to make the kids something special out of the futon as it was a kind of special time.

Drew that's a really nice goblet - love that form. I haven't tried to make one yet, cuz Im still not talking to the skew. Hollow forms keep me in denial:D
Good job on the rings and the tool!

First time? Dang, I'd hate to see what you come up with after some practice. :p Great-looking goblet Drew, and I agree with Mohammad about the rings...nice and delicate to my eye. Excellent job. :clap:

Is that stuff food safe so that it will not react with drinking liquids?

Should be, my plexi solution is made from an old plastic salt grinder that I found in a local good will store... I cracked it and took the grinder out, washed the plastic pieces and soaked them in acetone... the acetone flashes off in about a minute or less and leaves the inside coated.

Well had another go at it today but with a different wood ( arbutus/madrona), Not as much luck as I tried to get a thin rim and it went too far and it cracked so it became a champagne glass. This time with inter woven rings. Definatly not something I will be showing off but a very valuable learning lesson. I didn't even buff it out as the arbutus will move over night and the glass will not stay as it is.

Attachments

• Captive ring chamgagne glass 001.JPG
    Captive ring chamgagne glass 001.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 6