Pot-o-whatever

Jim Burr

Just another HF with a big opening. So I thought...let's put a lid on it.:eek:..oops, never done a lid...oh!! let's put a knob on it:eek:...oops...never done a knob. So, this is a piece of English walnut and a Redwood (I swore I'd never touch again):doh: lid and a black walnut knob. Nothing is glued and all but the pot may end up in the marshmallow toaster. One coat of WoP after a 600 sanding. Easy now;)...some of this is my first time :eek:
4" at the fat spot...4"H

Attachments

• pot1.jpg
    pot1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 30
  • pot2.jpg
    pot2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 31
  • pot3.jpg
    pot3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 34
  • pot4.jpg
    pot4.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 29
Jim,
I like the pot and the lid and I like the handle but not on that pot/lid. To my eye the handle takes away from the pot, I would have prefered something shorter maybe a round top, If you want to embelishment it put a groove on it.

Now that just my humble opinion and we all know about opinions

It has a look like something that might have been in an old time herbalists shoppe or apothecary... With something strange inside! :thumb: :thumb:

Nice chunk o walnut there, amigo! I like it, except... using three random wood species says scrap mock up to my eye. Im probably too OCD about symmetry and balance and think that if you used 1 contrasting, or different wood sandwiched between the handle and pot it would work just fine for me.
Just my .02 - keep em coming!
mj

Jim,
I like the pot and the lid and I like the handle but not on that pot/lid. To my eye the handle takes away from the pot, I would have prefered something shorter maybe a round top, If you want to embelishment it put a groove on it.

Now that just my humble opinion and we all know about opinions

My thought to Don...squaty bottom and a thin top doesn't always work. Leaning to a flair'd round knob.

Nice chunk o walnut there, amigo! I like it, except... using three random wood species says scrap mock up to my eye. Im probably too OCD about symmetry and balance and think that if you used 1 contrasting, or different wood sandwiched between the handle and pot it would work just fine for me.
Just my .02 - keep em coming!
mj

That's how I felt putting it together...mis-mash. So it was more of a "let's see how to do this" kinda thing. If I'd know it was going to come out llike that, I'd of done something different:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I like the pot...your curves look good and everything seems balanced to me. :thumb: But I do agree with Don that the handle doesn't seem to fit the round feel of the pot and domed lid. There's also something about the transition from the rim of the pot to the edge of the lid that's not quite sitting right to my eye. I think the inward chamfer on the rim is competing with the roundness of the lid. Don't know what to suggest on that one other than leave it and try something different next time.

All that nit-picking aside, I think overall your pot-o-whatever looks real good. That form is tough to do well, and you did a great job on it in my opinion. :clap:

That's how I felt putting it together...mis-mash. So it was more of a "let's see how to do this" kinda thing. If I'd know it was going to come out llike that, I'd of done something different:rofl::rofl:

Oddly that seems to be the strategic lesson in all this for me. "Turn it like it's the piece you will be remembered for."
Unless you really are doing a mock up before you gouge that super chunk you have stashed away!:thumb:
I appreciate you sense of curiosity and experimentation. It will serve you well in the long run.... carry on!
mj