Feeling warmer already

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Went shopping for double wall chimney pipe for my 'new' stove this past weekend. Was a bit disappointed as the pipe I need was coming out to be about $650 by the time I bought all of it. Not what I was hoping with Xmas and property taxes coming this month. Was going to put off getting it until after the first of the year or early spring.

Well, I lucked out yesterday and found some chimney pipe on craigslist for $125 with the cap, 9 1/2' of 8" pipe, and the roof flange. The guy had only used it for a pellet stove, so it didn't ever have any real heat in it (at least compared to a wood stove) and all were in perfect shape other than a little surface rust on the upper sections.

I know...no pics...will get them tonight, but feeling warmer already considering it was 25 degrees this morning.

Yup, It's for where mine will meet the ceiling (eventually), through the blow-in insulation (eventually), and up through the roof. I've got a 4/12 roof, so have to go about 6' up above the roof opening to comply with code. I can use single wall from the stove to the ceiling, which I plan to do. I'll also mount a ceiling fan near/over the unit to help circulate heat coming off the pipe and stove. My ceilings are 12', so will have about 12' of single wall including the elbow.

Isn't double walled pipe used only for where it goes through the roof?
Standard pipe allows heat to escape into the room you are trying to heat. And it is cheap.

I don't know about the rest of the state, but in Oceanside, California we have to use triple wall pipe all of the way. It goes through a box that is even larger than the pipe to keep it even further from the wood.

Yes it is expensive. Yes it does help heat the skies for Santa Claus and for airliners. The only heat we actually get is radiant heat from the stove.

Enjoy,

Jim

I don't know about the rest of the state, but in Oceanside, California we have to use triple wall pipe all of the way. It goes through a box that is even larger than the pipe to keep it even further from the wood.

Triple wall is required here in some applications also. The double wall is required for going through walls and roofs, however; additional components like radiant heat shields and insulation shields are required at the ceiling and around the rafters. A 2" clearance is required in all other areas. Can use single wall from the stove to the ceiling or wall thimble as long as there is a 16" clearance.