Going from shed to 'shop

Possibly. Might prime it one all the walls are up.

Shop is an absolute wreck. That wall was my primary storage for small tools an now they are all over all surfaces. Putting up the cleats will have to be a top priority.

BTDT...

I finally got to the point today where I started to put stuff away, but got called upon to take a sick pet to the vet all afternoon...

I'm liking the french cleat thing, and I don't even have all that much stuff up on them yet... :thumb:

I am getting confused, which is not hard, but there has to be about 3 new shop threads going now and I can't keep track which is which.:D

Chris = Re-habbing his outbuilding "Shed to Shop"
Dave = Partitioning of an existing building
Jeb = Brand spanking new Building with a lively debate about floor choices.
Brent = My humble building of a bunch of cabinets for my garage...

Did I miss anyone?

Thanks for the kind words.

I was so irritated pulling all the nails out of the plywood that I took some torx screws and attached the OSB that way. I figured there was a decent chance I'd want to take it down at some point to replace the insulation, or run the wiring. Getting power out there is so remote, I didn't see the point in having the expense or trouble of doing it now.

I just hope one screw every 16" will be enough for the cleats. I don't know how much the OSB will add if I put additional screws in.

I also need to design some holders, and do it fairly quickly.

Chris, as a resident of a small crowded shop, I really do appreciate what you are dealing with, and applaud your efforts :clap:

Your shop is in a bad state at the moment, but it will be worth it in the end, having a clean, organized well thought out workshop is really a great thing :thumb:

I'd paint them walls as soon as you can, the whole workshop will be much brighter!

Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words.

I was so irritated pulling all the nails out of the plywood that I took some torx screws and attached the OSB that way. I figured there was a decent chance I'd want to take it down at some point to replace the insulation, or run the wiring. Getting power out there is so remote, I didn't see the point in having the expense or trouble of doing it now.

I just hope one screw every 16" will be enough for the cleats. I don't know how much the OSB will add if I put additional screws in.

I also need to design some holders, and do it fairly quickly.

I've only got sheet rock inbetween my 16" on center studs, and it's working out pretty good. With OSB, you could go every 8 and it'd probably help.

I find the creative part of designing the holders to put on the cleats is part of the fun...

Doh! Forgot about Darren!

Thats a total of (at least) 5 shop reorgs/reconfigs/new builds going on at once... :thumb:

1862d0f9-18a5-0e1a.jpg

First four up. Only 965 left to go.

Chris,
what a friend of mine did with his wiring was to run a raceway at the top corner of his wall. Then he ran conduit down from junction boxes wherever necessary. That way he didn't have to get into the walls to change any wiring.

Chris, as a resident of a small crowded shop, I really do appreciate what you are dealing with, and applaud your efforts :clap:

Your shop is in a bad state at the moment, but it will be worth it in the end, having a clean, organized well thought out workshop is really a great thing :thumb:

I'd paint them walls as soon as you can, the whole workshop will be much brighter!

Cheers!

+1 on all of what Stu said i could not say it better.:thumb:

+1 on what Stu and Rob have said. I finally got to a point on mine today where I'm feeling like I'm able to do things without constantly moving things around or searching for stuff. I was pretty overwhelmed by it all about a week ago, but as you get stuff organized, and develop a place for everything, so everything can be in it's place, it really starts to feel worth it all... :thumb: :thumb:

Looking good. You shouldn't have any problem with 16" centers and 2.5-3" wide cleats. I kind of doubt you want to hang anything on the wall heavy enough to cause problems with 16" centers. I know what you feel like on the disaray too. I feel like i've been in that boat since july when I moved into my current house.

A thought on the electrical. I scout craiglist daily looking for deals on lumber, but I see a lot of excess stuff from people doing renovations. Sometimes you have to check every day for 2-3 months, but you can find materials for 25-50% new price. Wiring remnants, extra conduit, panels, outlets, etc. It can be a great place to find cheap materials to run some power to your shop.

If anyone has pictures of holders for power tools, that would be great. Have to figure out things for my angle grinder, circular saw and etc.

Making a running list of holders I need as well, sorry this is becoming my own personal notepad. Pictures will be added to this post as long as I'm able to edit, bit please don't let that stop anyone from posting suggestions.

Hammer rack (4-6)
Screwdriver rack (6-10)
Chisel rack (6+mallet)
Miter gauge rack
Tape measure rack (3-4)
Wrench rack (magnetic)
Saw guide post
Clamp racks
Hand saw holders
Bench cookie holder

Angle grinder w/ disc storage
Spiral saw w/ bit storage