Grizzly iPhone Lathe App

Just tried it out, Darren. Kinda fun and kinda lame all at the same time. :D

...I just talk, don't need more fancies. :bonkers:

Those were pretty much my sentiments until I got an iPhone. Now I see it as a small computer I carry on my belt, and it happens to also make phone calls. I probably use the web browser and GPS features more than the telephone part.

Steve, I'm not a texter either. Seems like a waste of time to try to type a message when it'd take less time to just call the person up and talk. But I do use a lot of other things it can do.

Living in LA, one of the handiest apps I have is one that shows real-time traffic conditions on the freeways and highways. Or last weekend in Palm Springs I wanted to find a good steak dinner, and a bar with pool tables for some after-dinner recreation. Between Google and Yelp, I was able to find both very easily.

When I was setting up my booth at the park, I needed to put blocks of wood under some of the table legs to level them and to make sure my shelves were level. I have two or three different "bubble level" apps on my phone to choose from, so I used my phone to level the tables and shelves.

Music in the car for the drive down there and back? iPhone. Alarm clock radio to wake up to? iPhone. Find the best gas prices (and station locations) in an unfamiliar town? iPhone. Spreadsheet to track my show sales? iPhone. Find a Trader Joe's because I forgot to bring my vitamins? iPhone. Check up on the goings-on at Family Woodworking? iPhone. Call the wife? You guessed it...iPhone. :thumb:

Steve, I'm not a texter either. Seems like a waste of time to try to type a message when it'd take less time to just call the person up and talk. But I do use a lot of other things it can do.

Living in LA, one of the handiest apps I have is one that shows real-time traffic conditions on the freeways and highways. Or last weekend in Palm Springs I wanted to find a good steak dinner, and a bar with pool tables for some after-dinner recreation. Between Google and Yelp, I was able to find both very easily.

When I was setting up my booth at the park, I needed to put blocks of wood under some of the table legs to level them and to make sure my shelves were level. I have two or three different "bubble level" apps on my phone to choose from, so I used my phone to level the tables and shelves.

Music in the car for the drive down there and back? iPhone. Alarm clock radio to wake up to? iPhone. Find the best gas prices (and station locations) in an unfamiliar town? iPhone. Spreadsheet to track my show sales? iPhone. Find a Trader Joe's because I forgot to bring my vitamins? iPhone. Check up on the goings-on at Family Woodworking? iPhone. Call the wife? You guessed it...iPhone. :thumb:

ok I get it:) but how did yu do against the pool guys,, did yu scam them or did they read yu pretty good from the get go?? yu could got some free food or drinks if yu sand bagged alitte:) dave hawksford told me to get one of those WONDERFUL things too,, he use his for alot as well vaugh..

Last edited:
...how did yu do against the pool guys,, did yu scam them or did they read yu pretty good from the get go?? yu could got some free food or drinks if yu sand bagged alitte:) ...

The table was $1.00 per game, and I ended up playing a dozen or more games on $5.00. ;) When I first got there, I was playing a young beginner. Some people sitting at a nearby table told me later they were expecting me to shark him, but instead I ended up just playing for fun and giving him tips and teaching him a few things.

I don't like to play for money, so when the Filipino guys showed up and tried to get me to play for $5.00 per game, I politely turned them down. They respected that and we all went on to play quite a few more games with no bets, with me winning some and them winning some.

I used to play pretty regularly with a local guy who was a real shark. (He did all the trick pool shots for the movie "The Hustler".) He used to make a lot of money sharking, so I know a lot of the tricks those guys use. He was one of those guys who can't play his best unless there's money on the line, and I don't like to bet real money on pool, so we used to play for odd change bets, like 68 cents, or 37 cents per game. :D

did yu have your own stick or use a the bars cues?

We were all using bar cues. I can lose with a bar stick as quickly as I can with my own. :p At the little dive bars I'm used to playing at here at home, nearly everyone brings their own sticks. But I won't carry my stick into a place until I've been there and seen others using their own.

In the case of last weekend, I left the sticks at home because my poor SUV was already stuffed to the gills. (I even used the roof rack for a couple of lightweight things, for the first time in my life.)