Antelope in the Neighborhood

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Driving back from getting mail yesterday, I came across a group of at least 40 antelope trying to head across the road. Didn't have my camera handy.

Took my camera with me today and they are still hanging around. They were quite a ways a way, but you can see a few of them in this picture...

Just thought I'd share. I'll try and get some better pics, if I can ever separate my rear end from my chair in front of the computer....
attachment.php

Attachments

• antelope.jpg
    antelope.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 114
Managed to pry myself out of my desk chair for a few minutes right around sunset. Grabbed my Camera and a frosty beverage, and bucky and I took a short walk over the hill just to the southeast.

I had no idea if they would be there or not, but there they were.

I counted 46 of them...

Here's a few more pictures...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• antelope2.jpg
    antelope2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 73
  • antelope3.jpg
    antelope3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 73
:thumb:Great pictures, thanks for sharing!!!:thumb::thumb:

I've eaten quite a few antelope, and it is some mighty fine table fare! Take care of it right and its great, don't and it ain't!

My dad went hunting for them once when I was a kid. He took it to the processor and got his share all in jerky. The jerky was quite good!:thumb:

Nice Pictures must be a really great place to live :thumb::thumb:

I feel like breaking out in song..Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and the antelope play...:D

You have to be a Desert Rat to live where we live. Most folks don't like it for some reason, but I love the desert. Love being able to see the terrain. Drives me crazy when I'm in the land of so many trees you can't see anything but the tree in front of me, to the side of me, behind me. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful and great places to visit, but... :wave::wave:

Sharon is that picture in your avatar real or photoshop. If its real you sure have a great dog in Bucky. She is a saint.:)

It's real for sure, but Bucky a saint? :eek: BWAHahahahahahaa :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We acquired bucky shortly after I found that cat in a dumpster. That cat thinks it's half dog and that bucky is just his bigger sister... They get along great and still to this day will wrestle and play with each other...

There is one thing that has been at me all day since i saw this post. Its a technicality but given where i originate it bugs me.

You guys call this an antelope. Well that is a very general term and its not actually part of the antelope family.

Take a look

This is actually a Pronghorn by what i can make out.

And if you scroll down the page on this site past the funny frog etc you get a nice write up on the Pronghorn and just like the wiki says it actually is not part of the antelope family.

Has some quiet interesting characteristics. Specifically its speed.

In Africa everything in the wild with 4 feet and a horn is called a buck makes me mad.

But these animals have been given different names to distinguish them from each other lets use them.:D

Just the way we have different saws, different planes etc.

i apologize for being picky but in the interests of furthering knowledge i have had to learn a lot of the US acronyms for all sorts its only right you guys call the wild animals by their correct name eh.:D

A Kudu is a Kudu and an Impala is not a car and they both definitely not simply buck. The Kudu and Impala are both part of the antelope family same as the Sable antelope my favorite.

Or would you rather tell all these guys they only got themselves a buck.;):D:rolleyes:

Well thanks for the research Rob! I've never really hunted them, so I usually make a guess and stick with it. I can tell that these aren't the same critters that are usually in the hay fields :D I think the ones that hang out down in the valley are mule deer, but I'm not sure. I know they aren't white tails...

I'll have to scan through the pages you provided and educate myself! :thumb:

"The Pronghorn (Antilocapra americana), is a species of artiodactyl mammal endemic to interior western and central North America. Though not an antelope, it is often known colloquially in North America as the Prong Buck, Pronghorn Antelope, or simply Antelope,[3] as it closely resembles the true antelopes of the Old World and fills a similar ecological niche due to convergent evolution.[4] It is the only surviving member of the family Antilocapridae.[5]"

Its an antelope

"The Pronghorn (Antilocapra americana), is a species of artiodactyl mammal endemic to interior western and central North America. Though not an antelope, it is often known colloquially in North America as the Prong Buck, Pronghorn Antelope, or simply Antelope,[3] as it closely resembles the true antelopes of the Old World and fills a similar ecological niche due to convergent evolution.[4] It is the only surviving member of the family Antilocapridae.[5]"

Its an antelope

Huh? :huh: It's more closely related to a giraffe, best I can tell. No matter what we call it, it's not an antelope.

Rob, around the parts of the western US I've been to, pronghorns are typically just called "antelope". I always heard them referred to as "antelope" or "pronghorn antelope", but seldom (if ever) by the more correct name of "pronghorn". I didn't know until now that they aren't true antelope.

Oh Vaughn i guess there are days when one wakes up with the words of Rex Harrison in your ears from the movie "My Fair Lady" when he said the lines something like "Why cant the english learn to speak".

Quote "

One common language I'm afraid we'll never get.
Oh, why can't the English learn to set
A good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?
The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely
disappears. In America, they haven't used it for years!
Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?
Norwegians learn Norwegian; the Greeks have taught their
Greek. In France every Frenchman knows
his language fro "A" to "Zed"
The French never care what they do, actually,
as long as they pronounce in properly.
Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning.
And Hebrews learn it backwards,
which is absolutely frightening.
But use proper English you're regarded as a freak.
Why can't the English,
Why can't the English learn to speak?

End Quote.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Me mum never taught me the difference between an antelope and a buck.;)

someone mentioned Jerky ;
This is how I do it;

I'LL POST MY RECIPE IT'S GREAT. There are 2 kinds of dehydrator I use one the coil heat and one forced hot air. Both work great but the hot air is 3 times as much to buy.
I make up a 5 gal bucket of jerky
SMOKE SAUCE;
1 gal Wan Ja San Soy Sauce
Sriraha HOT chili Sauce 12 oz bottles you decide how hot.
3 --10 oz Worcestershire
Liquid Smoke 4-- 4 oz bottles
2 hand fulls of Garlic
2 Hand fulls of Minced Onion

SWEET SAUCE;
1 Gal. Wan Ja San [Soy Sauce]
1/2 gal Mr. Yoshida's Marinade &cooking Sauce/ Sweet and savory
14OZ Sweet chili Sauce [Salsa De Pollo Frita]
3 Liquid smokes
Garlic
onion
I use a dehydrator with 17 trays.