Antelope in the Neighborhood

Mine was grain fed and mighty tasty...Valentine Montana 1966. My mother in law made it through the last great depression ( the one before this one) by helping herself to the abundant venison population in upstate New York. She could cook a shoe and make it taste great. She visited us in Montana and showed SWMBO how to cook Antelope and Mule Deer. The meat helped us through some rough times.

Attachments

• ANTELOPE (Medium).jpg
    ANTELOPE (Medium).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 16
prong horn is one critter i havnt had much of,, but they are sure pretty and can run fast.. brent its a pretty safe bet your species of deer ar mule deer if yu get a chance to see on on the males(buck) the antlers should be forked and not just long tines coming of one main beam.. and there tail wil be short and similar to a goat tail. and for taste,, any wild game is good if taken care of right and gotten in the right time of year..my best venison was from a mule deer..it was so good that we ate it first over the white tails i had gotten earlier..

Probably not interesting to anyone but me, but this is a pretty detailed doc on Pronghorn Antelope in Nevada.

What is particularly interesting to me is how they were pretty low numbers of them (like 3000 in the entire state) around the 70's.

Didn't read the whole thing, but numbers appear to be up, and I feel very fortunate to have seen that little herd of 46....

http://www.ndow.org/about/pubs/reports/pronghorn.pdf

What a great document Brent good find. I had a quick look through it. One thing i noticed was that the coverage of the animal in Nevada has certainly increased and become more wide spread. Also noticed that the fine for poaching is significant. Here i was gonna say to you just pop outside and get one to fill the pantry for Xmas.:D That would be an expensive turkey substitute.

With the heard becoming so large and wide spread and the relatively low number of hunting permits available i would think they will have to manage the herd soon or over grazing would be likely no?

Seems an easy animal to hunt by the looks of it. When you see the stats on success rate for those with a permit by comparison to other forms of wildlife.

Some good pictures in the document. The Prong horn seem to have a rather animated face type of look cute rather than wild looking. :)

Well, I imagine hunting them is more challenging than my chance photos would lead you to believe. During the actual short hunting season, I would reckon they are much harder to find. The hunted always seem to be able to figure out where the closed zones are and when they need to try and hide a little harder.... :rofl:

Lots of controversy though still about the amount of cattle grazing that should be allowed and the number of wild horses that should be allowed on the range. Both of those animals can have drastic effects on the amount of forage available...

rob, PRONGHORN antelope are far from a walk in the park to take,, with a bow any ways,, they have excellent eyesight and can see for a very long distance,, the gun hunters have the best chance by far to take one because of there longer range weapons

I agree with you Larry here are some stats for the two based on the report Brent found for Nevada. Kinda makes you realize why back in the day the Indians had more game around to eat. Until the horse and rifle they probably never even dented what was out there and there was always plenty.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hunting effort for pronghorn[1].jpg
    hunting effort for pronghorn[1].jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: