Dovetail saw kit

About half a year ago I purchased a Gramercy dovetail saw kit, but it wasn't until three days before now that I decided to assemble and make the handle for it.

Sorry, the thread is sparse in pics.:(
The handle roughly cut
01 DVT.jpg
Some rough shaping
02 DVT.jpg
More fine shaping
03 DVT.jpg
The final result.
04 DVT.jpg
I didn't sand the sides to the bolts because I made it a bit thicker than suggested on the instructions and the bolts are not thought to accept that difference so I had to sink them in further.

The wood is mongoy, a scrap from the seven drawer dresser project that Larry will kill me if I don't post it soon.:(

The handle is quite comfortable to use but I think I will tweak it a bit or make another one.:dunno:

Beautiful Toni !!
I've never heard of that wood before. Real nice:thumb:
Thanks Bob.

The wood is Mongoy, Amazakoué, Ovengkol. Latin name: Guibourtia ehie hope this helps.

A nightmare to work with, criscroosed grain and tendency to tear off a lot.
I don't think I will use it again for any other furniture piece.
Besides when you cut or sand it, smells like cat urine.

Nice job their Toni. You sure did that saw blade justice. But whats this i see the dremel tool in the background. I thought you carvers used hand tools and blades and rasps not power tools.:rofl: Eh?

Next i guess we will see you carving with a chain saw like they do in Quebec :D You gotta watch what you show in those pictures you giving away the trade secrets.;)

Here is a link to be able to purchase this kit for anyone interested in this saw. I am so i looked it up and thought i would share the link.

These guys "Tools for working woods" are great people to do business with. First vendor i have found on line that will side step the standard system to help you save on freight.:thumb:

Nice job their Toni. You sure did that saw blade justice. But whats this i see the dremel tool in the background. I thought you carvers used hand tools and blades and rasps not power tools.:rofl: Eh?

Actually I tried to use it to sand difficult corners down, but it is too fast and burns the wood instead of sanding it. If I use a slower speed it would not have enough power, so finally I used the traditional way or a rolled piece of sandpaper.

Power carving is something that eludes me, some time ago I got a set of four burrs and after several trials I only use them for tight places or difficult wood, besides I hate the noise.:(

Nice Toni. Have you cut some DTs with it yet? What's your opinion of the saw itself?

Charlie

Cuts fine and straight, I find it more comfortable than my Adria saw, partly because of the handle, the Adria's one doesn't fit my hand well and due to the fact that the saw is wider than the Gramercy and my bench is a tad high, it's a bit akward using my Adria one, but as I'm used to it I think I'll stick with it.

As Chris Swarchz says, pick any saw you like, and stick to it if you want to be good at dovetails. ;)

Hey Toni i guess you are aware of the Adria no quibbel money back guarantee if you not happy with your saw.
http://www.adriatools.com/handsaw/dovetail_saw.html

See the bottom of the page.

Yes I know, but I had it for more than one year, and it's no big deal, it is a fine saw and it works well, I think it is a matter of getting used to the handle, or modifying it which for the moment I don't dare to.

Maybe I should go back to cutting a set of dovetails every day to get the good feel of it. In fact I just found when testing the Gramercy one that I do need it.:eek: