Help me help a newbee

Hi,

I live in a wonderful neighborhood---the kind where anyone will do almost anything for you. Now the rest of the story:

The doorbell rang. Mike and son Kevin were there. Kevin has to do a school project. He has several months to accomplish it. Not knowing what he was getting involved in, Kevin said he would make a simple desk and chair. He has already turned this in and backing out would be bad.

This is not just about the project itself but the process from beginning to end. Organizing, getting materials, building, logic, etc. Kevin knows I work with wood so that was what he thought about for a project. However, like most non-woodworkers what seems simple to him isn't as simple as he thinks it is.

How do I help this H.S. sophmore? I need a simple plan for a simple desk and chair. No, we cannot change the project to simplify...say, make a stool instead of a chair.
It could be a computer desk. I think that is what he really wants and that would keep us clear of drawers.

Where is the best place to get plans?
My shop should be able to handle anything we come up with. However, in woodworking I consider myself a novice.

From my standpoint I would like to get this young man interested in woodworking. However, unless it is really simple, I am more apt to alienate him than entice him. His father has absolutely no woodworking or mechanical skills. I'm pretty sure Kevin has followed suit.

They are wonderful people. Help me help them.

Enjoy,

Jim

wow..now yu gotr yur self a dilema jim,,, how long yu got to make this project?
and for sake of time and ease, make as much as yu can outa of ply wood to make some of the trouble less troublesom.. as for the plans go,, yu need to tap into your sons heAD SOME ON THIS ONE AND I CAN HEAR NOW SAYING DAD!!!
why di yu say yes to this ,,you should know better by now.. but ti will make all of you closer and better wood workers!!

Jim, this is an undertaking, but quite do-able. Try googling "desk plans" and see what turns up. If you work with sheet goods, and aim for simple, it should go well. Allen has made some good chairs, might be worth asking him for his design or plans.

how simple?
all the talent here, Im not the one to offer much, but heres a simple desk out of one sheet of plywood I drew up.
All glue and screws, the dots are cheap 2x4 cut cleats to hold it together, No complicated joinery. Cut a strip 4 inches wide from the end of the sheet and screw it halfway down the back of the leg/side panels to keep it straight and secure.
Cut strips out of the 2x4s, glue to front edge of plywood, )or use hardwood, sand lightly and stain.
Where the shelves need screws on the side walls, coutersink the screws and put in some plugs, wont see them.
One sheet of oak plywood(hd-48 bucks) and one 2x4(1.97), or let him scrounge up the materials from local merchants, blemished sheets, cut offs, Im sure hed do ok and not have to spend a cent other than the plugs and screws.
Chair is all 2x4s and screws with glue and plugs. I could draw one.

Attachments

• bed 069 (Medium).jpg
    bed 069 (Medium).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
If I understand this correctly, it is more about the complete process instead of it being an assignment from his shop teacher to seek an experienced woodworker and antagonize his life. So my first thought is, get him to figure the cost (total cost including labor) for a handmade desk, then go to a "naked furniture" (no not go naked, but you know, one of those stores where you buy the furniture ready to for assembly and finish). Buy a kit desk and chair and then let him put it all together, same situation, less exposure to spinning sawblades. You could be the mentor on his learning to read directions, layout the parts and put together in a consice manner. Also, if they are trying to get some custom furniture out of you through the back door, you just bamboozled them!

If I understand this correctly, it is more about the complete process instead of it being an assignment from his shop teacher to seek an experienced woodworker and antagonize his life. So my first thought is, get him to figure the cost (total cost including labor) for a handmade desk, then go to a "naked furniture" (no not go naked, but you know, one of those stores where you buy the furniture ready to for assembly and finish). Buy a kit desk and chair and then let him put it all together, same situation, less exposure to spinning sawblades. You could be the mentor on his learning to read directions, layout the parts and put together in a consice manner. Also, if they are trying to get some custom furniture out of you through the back door, you just bamboozled them!

You are definitely the expert, Jonathan, on these types of things :):)

Maybe do a combo...desk as a kit and learn to make a simple chair and have him compare the two experiences from all aspects (planning, costs, effort, labor ... but the kicker will have to be satisfaction :thumb::thumb:)

Jim, I dont see the problem. Given what i see Glenn has produced teaching this young man to make a basic desk and chair should be a walk in the park.

My son has the same tendencies that Kevin has and expects that Harry Potter style it will just simply appear.

Dom got there first but a google sketchup plan and basic ply and pine would do fine in my view. A drive to HD and the lumber section would allow him to price it out and buy the lumber. In the case of the top he can buy a ready cut 2x4 piece of ply so there is no big deal with the top.

I agree with Jonathan to an extent. I would not get too worried about perfection or fancy joints. More the execution of the phases to create awareness to the very points you making and that is that this does not take place Harry Potter style with the wave of a wand.

But the return for you will be utterly fantastic in my view.

I once had the pleasure of getting about 12 cubs to make their own wooden toolbox sort of old carpenter style. Gave them all a set of tools ex dollar store but real ones. They could not stop talking about it and never forgot.

If he is in High School he must be 12 years or older and i would think he is old enough to teach how to use a few machines in a basic manner.

Butt joints and hammer and nails will be fine for assembly or you could do the odd tennon joint on the chair just to get him more involved.

Great opportunity in my view, good for you in taking it on even if it arrived unsolicited at your door. :thumb::):clap::clap:

Oh and call Glenn get him involved let him get a taste of what he is missing out on.;)

Jim, I think Jonathan hit the same points (even better) of what I was going to say. You may want to step back and mentor him on a couple of simple projects. Seeing his dad has few handyman skills, walk him through teaching him the basics (drilling holes, measuring, basic joinery) then work up to more advanced skills. Doing so will give you a feel for his aptitude and skill level. I like Jonathan's suggestion of perhaps buying a chair and assembling it, but then maybe build the table from scratch to match.

Just my .02 :wave:

Jim,
I don't have plans, but I built my son a very very simple computer desk from a single sheet of 1/2 inch plywood... he wanted something that looked along the lines of a drafting desk.. with a slanted top and then the back part flat and level for the monitor... I put an "L" bracket about midway on the back for him to put his feet on and to add structural integrity to the legs... they were just flat cut panels of the plywood to which I attached the top and brace... I don't think I even used bracing at the corners.... he used that from the age of 12 until he joined the army at 19.... it couldn't have gotten more basic or simple... back then I didn't do much in the way of wood working either. I didn't do a chair, so can't help you there... he used an ergonomic stool back then.

Jim,
I threw together a very basic but sturdy desk last summer, simple 2x4's and a 1/4 panel of 3/4 birch ply for the top. Something like that ought to be within his means and I didn't do Anything fancy on it. As for chair, use the KISS principle, if the desk is basic materials, then the chair can be too. I'm about to build one for my son, who complains that the chair he has (old secretary's chair, which to be fair is not all that comfortable) hurts his back. SO, one of these days, we're headed off to the Borg for some plywood, our local lumber yard for some 2x materiel and Michaels for some foam padding & covering. We'll knock together a basic 2x chair to go with his 2x desk.

if it is about the process, point him at some woodworking books, and answer questions about what he finds there. Show him where nesc. the safe way to do the step, but make him Do the work. Including setting pencil to paper or mouse to mouse pad in Sketchup.

There are many ways of skinning a cat, instead of looking for typical chair designs check those that are made from three or four plywood pieces interlocked.
You only need to draw the templates and a reciprocating saw. You can knock one down in one or two hours at the most.
Sorry I can't post any link, but I'm sure you got the idea.

Wood Magazine has a chair plan that relatively easy. It has good instructions and full sized patterns.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/furniture/seats/dining-chair/

It's not completed but looks something like this.

chair.jpg

To All of You Who Responded and those who will respond,

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!

I am going to present all of the ideas to Kevin and his dad and we will see where a short meeting leads us.

As soon as we get a rough idea of where we are going I will have him price out the materials. I will have him guess the number of hours (Boy is he in for a surprise.).

I will hand him a hammer, some nails, a screwdriver and some screws, an electric drill and some scrap wood. And anything else it takes that I have.

Enjoy,

Jim

To All of You Who Responded and those who will respond,

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!

I am going to present all of the ideas to Kevin and his dad and we will see where a short meeting leads us.

As soon as we get a rough idea of where we are going I will have him price out the materials. I will have him guess the number of hours (Boy is he in for a surprise.).

I will hand him a hammer, some nails, a screwdriver and some screws, an electric drill and some scrap wood. And anything else it takes that I have.

Enjoy,

Jim

but the most important part is being able to work with you jim, and yu him.. kinda like that movie where the young guy wrote a poem or a book with shown conery..this can go along ways jim!!!

Hi,

I live in a wonderful neighborhood---the kind where anyone will do almost anything for you. Now the rest of the story:

The doorbell rang. Mike and son Kevin were there. Kevin has to do a school project. He has several months to accomplish it. Not knowing what he was getting involved in, Kevin said he would make a simple desk and chair. He has already turned this in and backing out would be bad.

Jim

What class is this project for? Woodshop? Why is he not doing it in the school's shop? I made a ramp for mine (along with some paddles- but that's a whole 'nother story). Did all of it in the shop.
Someone mentioned using the kreg pocket hole jig. I will second that. If you don't already have one - go get it. Best $40 bucks you'll spend all year. He can also buy pre made table legs while at the borg. Pocket screw the aprons on and slap on the plywood top.
Just don't over think it and have fun.