Wood Load and not certain what it is

Dan Mosley

Day off today and a guy called me from about 45min away and asked if I wanted some Walnut from a tree that had fallen that they were going to cut up today. So, I drove up and I am not so sure it is walnut but heck I made the drive. Alot of it was rotted bad in the middle and even if cut thru the pith was not worth anything but firewood to me - and I do not need any firewood. After alot of chain saw issue he finally got some cut up that I could load on my truck and haul home. I Gave him $25.00 for making the few cuts and giving me the wood - He really had told me to take it for free in exchange for a couple small platter I had but I told him I wanted to give him something for meeting me and letting me have it.

Anyway, anybody know what kind of wood this is ???

He kept insisting he knew it was Walnut and the other guy helping him says he knows it is...........I did not say much but it sure did not seem to look it............

Attachments

• Nov30_001.jpg
    Nov30_001.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 77
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 80
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 83
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 98
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Nov30_003.jpg
    Nov30_003.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Nov30_002.jpg
    Nov30_002.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 92
yeah i did not think it was but for free or close to it - I kept quiet.....;)
yet another type I have never tried to turn...........anybody turn red oak before ?

well, its not walnut and its not red oak, sorry jim:) the bark isnt coarse enough and the heartwood isnt colored right.. i would venture to say hickory first and ash for the second choice// if its hickory its REAL hard and heavy if it ash its hard but not as heavy. look for some leaves or nuts by the growing place..

Larry thanks for the info............It did not have any nuts just leaves but other than the pictures above I did not pay much attention..... Ill turn a pc this weekend and post maybe that will be better........

Sorry, but I disagree, not that I am correct, but I recently cut down an English walnut tree and it look very, very similar. The base of the tree will like a little different because they graft those trees.

well i am referring to amercian BLACK walnut not the english stuff so it could be that i am not aware of what that stuff looks like..but it would be lighter weight wood i believe..we northerners dont have the other kind paul

I just ran out and took a picture of the last English Walnut tree I have (it is coming down in the spring, too close to my septic tank). The bark looks the same, mine in the picture is little different color because it is wet right now and this is a much smaller tree than yours. The dark middle on yours is probably from a disease they get over time. It make nice turning wood, turns a little darker brown as it gets drier.

Attachments

• 400IMG_2423.JPG
    400IMG_2423.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2495.JPG
    IMG_2495.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 31
I'll leave it to the more experienced woodsmen here, but I do agree... the sap wood on the 4th and 5th picture is awfully thick for walnut... can't offer anything constructive, but for $25 you got a bargan.

Well the guy emailed me today and said he may have some more good pc's out of the same cutting - I am not sure about getting more because i have no place to really keep it even if I cut and prep it. Over the weekend ill turn a pc and post pics .............thanks Dan

Well the guy emailed me today and said he may have some more good pc's out of the same cutting - I am not sure about getting more because i have no place to really keep it even if I cut and prep it. Over the weekend ill turn a pc and post pics .............thanks Dan

Bummer...if you were a bit closer I'd offer to take my pickup truck down there to help take some off your hands. I've got some room, but I've also got a lot of wood I need to use up, too.

Looks like you got a nice haul, though. :thumb: Some nice big chunks.

It very well may be an English Walnut. Sap wood by the way varies a lot in walnut depending on where the tree grows. I have seen some black walnuts that had minimal sapwood and were mostly dark heartwood. (something the log buyers really like):D

There are a few of the English persuasion in Michigan but most are Black.