What Is It?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this Wednesday at a house where I was looking into doing some handyman work, and had to get a snapshot. Figured it might make an interesting quiz here, although the old-timers will probably know what it is. This is on the outside of the house. I was told there is a similar door on the inside of the house.

Any guesses what it is?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mystery Box 1 800.jpg
    Mystery Box 1 800.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 109
Saw this Wednesday at a house where I was looking into doing some handyman work, and had to get a snapshot. Figured it might make an interesting quiz here, although the old-timers will probably know what it is. This is on the outside of the house. I was told there is a similar door on the inside of the house.

Any guesses what it is?

attachment.php
Milk delivery

Dang, that was quick, Stu. :D For those of you like me who haven't seen one before, here's a detailed shot of the milk order thingie:

attachment.php

The lady who owns the house said it was built in 1927.

In the one house where we used to get milk delivered when I was a kid, the milkman just came in the house and left it in the fridge while everyone was at work or school. I do remember other neighbors having milk boxes on their front porches, but I've never seen a built-in delivery box on a house before now.

Attachments

• Mystery Box 2 800.jpg
    Mystery Box 2 800.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 105
Of course its for milk delivery; and watch that "old guy" stuff. Plenty of people were around when full glass milk bottles magically appeared where the empty ones were last night. We didn't have the sophisticated metal order thingy though. We had a sort of heavy paper "fan" where you flipped out the leaves with the names of the items you wanted and stuck that end into the opening at the top of one of the bottles.

The pop-out paper caps were your sure guarantee that the product hadn't been tampered with. They were the predecessor to POGs during my "Leave it to Beaver" youth. What do kids use now-a-days to play drop the clothes-pin in the milk bottle at birthday parties anyway???

Daaaaaaa Milk delivery :rofl:

They needed a cool place to place the milk each day. So folk had Milk boxes , on there porch Some had the large wooden coolers. Every so often I get one of them in here to restore.

I need to stop back and get a photo of it, but the house I grew up in had a substantial milk delivery box, two sliding doors & compartments on the outside, one flop down door on the inside, right next to the back door on the way to the kitchen. Had loads of fun with that as a kid.

I went to college at a commuter school. One of the guys I knew there claimed he was a milkman to support himself. We still buy our milk in a glass bottle now, at the local dairy store.

Hi,

It took me all of a nano-second to know what that was (is). I think I have seen a hundred thousand quarts of milk (pre-cholesterol worry time) come in through one of those.

It was built into the house my folks built in 1941. (Dad and I were outside digging trenches for the sprinkler system for the house when we heard, via the radio in the window, about the bombing of Pearl Harbor.) I thought it was a fantastic new invention...Man the new world was on its way.

Ours held 4 quarts and was filled almost daily. At our previous house the milkman just set the bottles on the front porch in the shade. Well it was really in the shade when it was delivered about 4:00 a.m.

I guess we were poor folks; our milk delivery box did not have a dial. We had the paper thingie mentioned in an earlier post. We thought that was pretty doggone sophisticated when the milkman delivered it.

Enjoy,

Jim

I remember my Gandma having the bottles set on the front porch in Illinoise. During the winter the cold weather would cause the cream to seperate and the bottle paper bottle caps (pongs) would lift up and the cream would overflow...Yup those were no tamper caps.

Growing up, our house did not have one, but my grama's did, and being Canada, in the winter you can't just leave it sitting outside, it would freeze, so the little door and it gets pushed into a warmer area :D

We had milk delivered (no milk box), but they always got there before the last person left the house.

The egg lady would stop by in the evenings.

Now, you're making me miss my jelly donuts that I used to get from the Helms Bakery truck that cruised the neighborhood :(

We had milk delivered (no milk box), but they always got there before the last person left the house.

The egg lady would stop by in the evenings.

Now, you're making me miss my jelly donuts that I used to get from the Helms Bakery truck that cruised the neighborhood :(

Didja put the "H" card in your window so the helms man would know to stop. He'd open the drawer and there would be cookies in there...yum yum.

Yup some one said it. The older ones might know what it is.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
When I was a kid mile either came from the cow or the store. No one came sneaking around in the wee hours leaving milk on your doorstep.
All though it did come in a cardboard box for the first few years. Than they came up with this cool new plastic jug that made purtty colors when it burned in the dump pile out back.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well Vaughn you sure stirred a few trips down memory lane.:D

Well we got milk delivered in SA as well when i was a kid. Glass bottles with aluminum foil lids.

Dead right Jim lots of cream way before the cholestrol days. :D

Our climate meant we did not have to have a door. Milk was just left on the front steps. We could get orange juice as well. Used platic tokens to pay for it and indicate the size and quantity you wanted.

We also had a veggie guy that would come around with a truck with open sides all round and veg and fruit displayed like at a fancy green grocer.

Those were the days. No frozen veg back then. But we had to live with whatever was locally grown. Never known imported fruit or veg in SA till today.

No bakery truck though, we had to go to the corner cafe ( convenience store to you guys) for our bread. Usually got the parents paper and smokes at the same time back in those days.