Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is It?

What Is It?

Saw this Wednesday at a house where I was looking into doing some handyman work, and had to get a snapshot. Figured it might make an interesting quiz here, although the old-timers will probably know what it is. This is on the outside of the house. I was told there is a similar door on the inside of the house.

Any guesses what it is?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mystery Box 1 800.jpg  
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Saw this Wednesday at a house where I was looking into doing some handyman work, and had to get a snapshot. Figured it might make an interesting quiz here, although the old-timers will probably know what it is. This is on the outside of the house. I was told there is a similar door on the inside of the house.

Any guesses what it is?

Milk delivery
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Dang, that was quick, Stu. For those of you like me who haven't seen one before, here's a detailed shot of the milk order thingie:

The lady who owns the house said it was built in 1927.

In the one house where we used to get milk delivered when I was a kid, the milkman just came in the house and left it in the fridge while everyone was at work or school. I do remember other neighbors having milk boxes on their front porches, but I've never seen a built-in delivery box on a house before now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mystery Box 2 800.jpg  
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Of course its for milk delivery; and watch that "old guy" stuff. Plenty of people were around when full glass milk bottles magically appeared where the empty ones were last night. We didn't have the sophisticated metal order thingy though. We had a sort of heavy paper "fan" where you flipped out the leaves with the names of the items you wanted and stuck that end into the opening at the top of one of the bottles.

The pop-out paper caps were your sure guarantee that the product hadn't been tampered with. They were the predecessor to POGs during my "Leave it to Beaver" youth. What do kids use now-a-days to play drop the clothes-pin in the milk bottle at birthday parties anyway???
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Daaaaaaa Milk delivery

They needed a cool place to place the milk each day. So folk had Milk boxes , on there porch Some had the large wooden coolers. Every so often I get one of them in here to restore.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Only milk we ever had delivered was when the 4 legged producer got out of the fence and too close to the house.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I need to stop back and get a photo of it, but the house I grew up in had a substantial milk delivery box, two sliding doors & compartments on the outside, one flop down door on the inside, right next to the back door on the way to the kitchen. Had loads of fun with that as a kid.
    -Ned

I went to college at a commuter school. One of the guys I knew there claimed he was a milkman to support himself. We still buy our milk in a glass bottle now, at the local dairy store.

I ain't never seen a clock like that on a cow. Man you west coast people, what will you think of next.

Hi,

It took me all of a nano-second to know what that was (is). I think I have seen a hundred thousand quarts of milk (pre-cholesterol worry time) come in through one of those.

It was built into the house my folks built in 1941. (Dad and I were outside digging trenches for the sprinkler system for the house when we heard, via the radio in the window, about the bombing of Pearl Harbor.) I thought it was a fantastic new invention...Man the new world was on its way.

Ours held 4 quarts and was filled almost daily. At our previous house the milkman just set the bottles on the front porch in the shade. Well it was really in the shade when it was delivered about 4:00 a.m.

I guess we were poor folks; our milk delivery box did not have a dial. We had the paper thingie mentioned in an earlier post. We thought that was pretty doggone sophisticated when the milkman delivered it.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER