Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman 103.20670

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

Craftsman 103.20670

Found this old iron on CL locally, thinking about picking it up and restoring it, at least partially. Owner says it's in good shape and cuts well, but I was wondering about the ability to put new blades on a tool this old.

It doesn't come with the original stand, but that doesn't really bother me. What would you do for $40?

That's nice.
    Wattizit???
    For $40.00 I would probably take wifey out to dinner.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Not a bad looking piece of iron.

Personally, when I had my smaller shops, a jointer wasn't high on my priority list as I didn't have a lot of projects that required it and didn't want to use up the space in my shop. So I'd look at your what tools you are needing and purchase accordingly. If you're looking at it for resell after you restore it, I doubt you'll bring much more in than what you're paying. Offer $15 or $20 if it's a restore and you may make another $10 - $20 depending on what you have to do to it.

Just my .02
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I just got rid of one and yes the blades are available. I had put new ones in it. The blades will run you something like $60.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I just got rid of one and yes the blades are available. I had put new ones in it. The blades will run you something like $60.
    Ouch.

No, this wasn't going to be a restore and resell. Not immediately, anyway. More of a, use it and freshen it up and possibly get rid of it if/when I decide I need something bigger. Sounds like if I'm going to put some use into it I should look at something with a bit more upfront cost and less long-term cost.

OK, I Googled it. It is a jointer.
    I paid $50.00 for my old, but goodie, Delta and it was a very worthwhile purchase.
    If it works and blades are OK, buy it but try to negotiate for less.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Not a bad looking piece of iron.

Personally, when I had my smaller shops, a jointer wasn't high on my priority list as I didn't have a lot of projects that required it and didn't want to use up the space in my shop. So I'd look at your what tools you are needing and purchase accordingly.
    Very good advice, and some that I've tried to abide by. I have my kitchen table project that's going to start sometime after the first of the year, and I need to get those edges perfect for glue up. My previous attempts at getting a straight edge have had mixed results. I figured I would have an easier time with a dedicated tool, but I may not.

So before I go and take a look at this or any other jointer, I may need to work on my technique. I've had the outfeed side perfectly aligned and as close to the bit as possible, but I get an error in the first inch of the cut.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Chris how are you doing you rips for your glue up ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I'd be lost without a jointer. For $40.00 or less you can't go wrong. You can always have the blades resharpened for about $20.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Chris how are you doing you rips for your glue up ?
    Good question. I was still using dimensions from a table we'd already scrapped.

I think the lengths will be 54" long and either 4" or 6" wide.