Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Visit to Lunenburg and Bluenose II - Update

Re-Building Bluenose II - Dec 2011 Update

I've decided to forget about fixing up the old farm and build a small sailboat so Debbie and I can sail around the world.
    Here are a few progress pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 001.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	51853

Name:	Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 002.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	51854

Name:	Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 003.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	51855

Name:	Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 004.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	51856

Kidding !!!

Actually, yesterday I was visiting clients near Lunenburg, Nova Scotia and after lunch took a little drive down to the shipyard where a major refit is underway on the 1960's-built Grand Banks schooner replica "Bluenose II", one of our national treasures.

The new ribs are laminated from angelique, a tropical hardwood sourced in Suriname and French Guiana. They had a massive jig floor laid out in one of the big sheds and were using the West System epoxy.

It was a fine, sunny, dead-calm day, so crews were at work on a giant 200 x 100' Coverall where the re-building will soon begin.

Name:	Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 005.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	51857

Name:	Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 006.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	51858

There will be regular tours of the site once they get going, as well as a webcam.

You can check out some videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNHLIl_24c

Rob Keeble, I think you sailed on Bluenose in 2009 (?) You should plan another trip next summer and we'll go check out their progress.

Enjoy!

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Rideout; 12-21-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Very cool and nice to hear they are taking care of the Bluenose II
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yup Peter you right about that. It sure is a treasure and thanks for that link. I had heard about the refit but did not think it needed such an extensive overhaul. They just about rebuilding it by the looks of your pictures. How they doing that with regards to the heritage folk keeping it in original condition.

Glad this project got some funding its a mighty fine treasure. Suppose you can tell i am biased when it comes to wooden ships.

Just for interest sake for folks to see some of the woodwork on this ship here are a few pics i took on board. Got to say the First mate was the best and i did not get a picture of her. Sorry boys.

Apologies for the pics but i aint got anything more than a point and shoot and did not have time to think being driven by two teenagers and SWMBO at the time.

Last edited by Rob Keeble; 12-03-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    She's a beuty, I would love to sail on her . I see she's Gaff rigged and the hoops are a wonderful traditional way to bend the sails.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the pics Rob. I should have shown the real thing too!
    As to heritage, I think there's a healthy mix of practicality and tradition in Nova Scotia shipbuilding and the consortium doing the work, Snyder's, Covey Island and others are considered to be the finest in their trade today. There's also a long trading tradition with the Caribbean islands and South America (salt fish from us, rum and molasses from there, a pretty good trade), so using some materials from there is not too big a stretch. Also, they think those angelique ribs will last up to forty years.
    They're basically building a new hull, while using the original deck and fittings, masts and rigging. Of course, I guess in a wooden ship, "original" is a moving target as they are by nature in a state of perpetual renewal. I was there a couple of years ago and they were just shaping a new mainmast, from a 3'x3'x110' laminated Douglas fir beam from BC Biggest stick of lumber I ever saw. No trees like that in Nova Scotia anymore. There was some grumbling about not using "our own wood" for a new mast before, but they did scour the woods for some mighty pine, with no luck.
    I'll be keeing an eye on their progress and posting some more pics from time to time. (I wonder if they need any volunteer labour? That would be cool!)
    Take care
    Peter

Peter I almost bought a shop for finishing and selling antique up on the hill from the Blue Nose. That is one of my favorite places. To bad it's also the home of an X partner who should be in jail for what he tried to get away with on me, but fled to Nova Scotia to escape jail.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Those Lunenburgers are good, honest, hard-working folks Dave. He might get to feeling unwelcome, and then you can come back and enjoy that special place

I would like that. I really enjoy the winters there with the gulf stream winds. I did go out 2 times on shark tournaments in the N. Atlantic and made sure the capt. had dopler
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Great Pics Peter & Rob

Thanks for posting. We spent our hnoeymoon in NS and spent a day in that area. Beautiful !

And a much nicer ship than our Onrust.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Apologies for the pics but i aint got anything more than a point and shoot and did not have time to think being driven by two teenagers and SWMBO at the time.
    Nice pics Rob, It's all about the composition anyway. Where did I hear something about a poor workman blaming his tools? I think you got some real nice shots there anyway!

That sure looks like it'd be fun to sail on!