A Visit to Lunenburg and Bluenose II - Update

Peter Rideout

Re-Building Bluenose II - Dec 2011 Update

I've decided to forget about fixing up the old farm and build a small sailboat so Debbie and I can sail around the world.
Here are a few progress pics:
Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 001.jpg
Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 002.jpg
Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 003.jpg
Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 004.jpg

Kidding !!!

Actually, yesterday I was visiting clients near Lunenburg, Nova Scotia and after lunch took a little drive down to the shipyard where a major refit is underway on the 1960's-built Grand Banks schooner replica "Bluenose II", one of our national treasures.

The new ribs are laminated from angelique, a tropical hardwood sourced in Suriname and French Guiana. They had a massive jig floor laid out in one of the big sheds and were using the West System epoxy.

It was a fine, sunny, dead-calm day, so crews were at work on a giant 200 x 100' Coverall where the re-building will soon begin.
Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 005.jpg
Bluenose II Refit, Lunenburg, Dec 1, 2010 006.jpg

There will be regular tours of the site once they get going, as well as a webcam.

You can check out some videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNHLIl_24c

Rob Keeble, I think you sailed on Bluenose in 2009 (?) You should plan another trip next summer and we'll go check out their progress.

Enjoy!

Peter

Last edited:
Yup Peter you right about that. It sure is a treasure and thanks for that link. I had heard about the refit but did not think it needed such an extensive overhaul. They just about rebuilding it by the looks of your pictures. How they doing that with regards to the heritage folk keeping it in original condition. :huh:

Glad this project got some funding its a mighty fine treasure. Suppose you can tell i am biased when it comes to wooden ships.:D

Just for interest sake for folks to see some of the woodwork on this ship here are a few pics i took on board. Got to say the First mate was the best and i did not get a picture of her. Sorry boys.

Apologies for the pics but i aint got anything more than a point and shoot and did not have time to think being driven by two teenagers and SWMBO at the time.:D

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Rob. I should have shown the real thing too!
As to heritage, I think there's a healthy mix of practicality and tradition in Nova Scotia shipbuilding and the consortium doing the work, Snyder's, Covey Island and others are considered to be the finest in their trade today. There's also a long trading tradition with the Caribbean islands and South America (salt fish from us, rum and molasses from there, a pretty good trade:)), so using some materials from there is not too big a stretch. Also, they think those angelique ribs will last up to forty years.
They're basically building a new hull, while using the original deck and fittings, masts and rigging. Of course, I guess in a wooden ship, "original" is a moving target as they are by nature in a state of perpetual renewal. I was there a couple of years ago and they were just shaping a new mainmast, from a 3'x3'x110' laminated Douglas fir beam from BC:eek: Biggest stick of lumber I ever saw. No trees like that in Nova Scotia anymore. There was some grumbling about not using "our own wood" for a new mast before, but they did scour the woods for some mighty pine, with no luck.
I'll be keeing an eye on their progress and posting some more pics from time to time. (I wonder if they need any volunteer labour? That would be cool!)
Take care
Peter

Peter I almost bought a shop for finishing and selling antique up on the hill from the Blue Nose. That is one of my favorite places. To bad it's also the home of an X partner who should be in jail for what he tried to get away with on me, but fled to Nova Scotia to escape jail.

I would like that. I really enjoy the winters there with the gulf stream winds. I did go out 2 times on shark tournaments in the N. Atlantic and made sure the capt. had dopler :rofl:

Great Pics Peter & Rob

Thanks for posting. We spent our hnoeymoon in NS and spent a day in that area. Beautiful !

And a much nicer ship than our Onrust.:thumb:

Apologies for the pics but i aint got anything more than a point and shoot and did not have time to think being driven by two teenagers and SWMBO at the time.:D

Nice pics Rob, It's all about the composition anyway. Where did I hear something about a poor workman blaming his tools? I think you got some real nice shots there anyway! :thumb:

That sure looks like it'd be fun to sail on!

Thanks for the link Peter this is just fantastic.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I just wonder how Lunenburg is going to be affected this season from a tourist point of view with the boat being out of commission.:(

Actually, I think Lunenburg will probably see even more traffic Rob. They seem to have really made an effort to make the slipway area as accessible as possible, so the public can watch the process of the restoration. I think the ship is to be re-launched sometime during the summer, so fitting-out alongside will then be proceeding. It'll be fun to watch.
She will be missed in Halifax, however, in the various ports around our coast and further afield, like the US northeast, where she traditionally cruises as our "sailing ambassador".
I expect a high-profile tour is being planned for her return to service in 2012.

Peter

From the pictures, looks like all the kept was the keel... restoring up from there.. beautiful boat... would love to tour it.

They are essentially building a new hull, from the original plans, but with an acceptance of some newer methods and materials which will give her a much longer life. The original deck, structures and fittings, as well as the masts and rigging of course, will be used again.

Re-Building Bluenose II - Dec 2011 Update

Aaarrrrh mateys!

My sons and I took a trip to old Lunenburg today to check on the progress of a major re-building of the North Atlantic topsail schooner Bluenose II, one of our national treasures.

She's coming along nicely. Hull caulking is almost done and interior fitting out is underway. Re-launch is scheduled for early July.

I'm holding an offcut of one of the ribs, many layers of laminated angelique, a very rot and insect-resistant South American hardwood. The re-build is an interesting blend of traditional and modern shipbuilding methods.

The Lunenburg Shipyard Alliance has a great slide series on their website: http://thelsa.ca/

Enjoy:wave:

Peter

Attachments

• Bluenose II Refit1 Dec 2011.JPG
    Bluenose II Refit1 Dec 2011.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Bluenose II Refit4 Dec 2011.jpg
    Bluenose II Refit4 Dec 2011.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Bluenose II Refit3 Dec 2011.jpg
    Bluenose II Refit3 Dec 2011.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Bluenose II Refit2 Dec 2011.jpg
    Bluenose II Refit2 Dec 2011.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
No, I have no affiliation with the project Dave. Just a keen enthusiast, although seeing some of the proud craftsmen working on her, I did wonder how I might get a job there for a week or two! Let me know if you make that trip, we'll plan a Family visit.:thumb:

Great old video Don, thanks. The song is by another national treasure - the late, great Stan Rogers.

Have a great day:wave:

Peter