I bought the HF 10" x 18" 5 speed 1/2hp mini lathe, an 8pc HSS set of lathe tools, a set of pen drills, a drill chuck on a #2MT for the tail stock, a pen mandrel for #2MT, some pen kits, some Bubinga pen blanks. I already have sharpening equipment, a band saw, drill press, sandpaper, finish, stain and glue. I am going to assemble the lathe and set up a workstation this weekend and test turn some scrap to get the feel for the process. I hope by Monday I'm ready try to make my first pen.
- anything essential that I forgot?
- was Bubinga a good choice for wood for a rookie to start turning?
- I saw other tools like a pen press but didn't want to purchase without more study. Is this a required tool? Any particular model or brand recommended?
- do I need reamers and end mill tool?
- am I being overly optimistic to think I might be able to learn this in a couple of days? I have not turned wood before, just metal.