Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate Rack Insert

Plate Rack Insert

As mentioned on my house updates thread, I planned to build a plate rack insert to go where the old microwave used to be. The cabinet itself was made about 6" shallower by removing it, cutting 6" off the back, and then putting bead board on to match the rest of the kitchen.

Tonight I was cutting out shelving for the other cabinets and decided to try and knock out the case for the rack. Here is the dry fit. There will be two drawers in the openings below, need to add the rails for them yet.

The layout for the holes that will support the 3/8" dowels, spaced 2 1/4" apart and 7" between the rows.

The top and bottom attached for drilling on the drill press. I set the depth of the bit to stop about 1/2" into the bottom board.

The top and bottom holes drilled and matched up.

Will assemble it this weekend...stay tuned.

Oh, I do plan to add a stop on the front to keep the plates from rolling out, LOML is buying new plates, so waiting to see what she gets and add accordingly. However the current ones are square, so no lip needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101202_215529.jpg   IMG_20101202_215333.jpg   IMG_20101202_222911.jpg   IMG_20101202_222951.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

just love the smellof some real flat work early in the am go darren go
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Looking good
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I came THAT close to putting a plate rack in, wish now I had anxious to see the final results

Thanks guys. Probably would have gotten it done and ready for paint, but still shuffling stuff around and working out of boxes on the floor of the shop, need to get some cabinets and work tables built. Maybe in a few weeks...next couple of weekends are pretty packed out with holiday events.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Did fit in some shop time today to assemble the plate rack.

After getting it in place my wife has made the executive decision that the bottom section will become a wine rack instead, so it will be getting some modifications to add some pigeon hole to it instead of drawers, but here it is during the test fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101205_174746.jpg   IMG_20101205_175150.jpg   IMG_20101205_175952.jpg  
    Darren

The wine rack is a good idea
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I also like the idea of the wine rack :0 one question, will you be putting in a strip of wood or something to stop the plates from rolling out the front?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    I also like the idea of the wine rack :0 one question, will you be putting in a strip of wood or something to stop the plates from rolling out the front?
    no he will just put a bungy cord across the frnt tom.. the hooks were on back order so they arent in there yet
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    no he will just put a bungy cord across the frnt tom.. the hooks were on back order so they arent in there yet

I do plan to add a stop on the front to keep the plates from rolling out, LOML is buying new plates, so waiting to see what she gets and add accordingly. However the current ones are square, so no lip needed.
    Darren