Another Friday

Winter's been postponed for a few more days here. Supposed to be +8 or 9C and rainy. I hope I can finally get the hydraulics and front end loader re-assembled on the tractor. It will have the added benefit of getting that greasy stuff out of the shop so I can make some sawdust.
Might have to rig an awning though, unless I can find someplace nearby to run it in out of the rain - I don't really trust the 100-year-old barn floor to hold up a 10,000 lb tractor. The animals downstairs might get a nasty surprise:D
I clearly need a big shed to hold my expanding collection of old stuff.

I can hear Rennie now standing behind the curtain going Baaa and Mooo with a few oinks thrown in. :rofl::rofl:

OK wise guys. Actually, that's me sharing some close personal space with two others in a 4x8 unheated booth where we control all the lighting, sound, and music for the play.
DSCN0030 (800 x 600).jpg

The action takes place here DSCN0034 (800 x 600).jpg about 70' away. The animals, live ones so no need for my impersonations thereof:rofl:, are to the right of the stable structure.

These pics are from last year's performance.

On the road in chilly upstate New York. Time to put the MIL in a nursing home near us in Virginia. She's 87, blind and not getting along so well. Getting old is not so much fun. We all need self destruct buttons.

Rennie, don't take it personally. I admire you for what you do and being a part of your church. There is only a small percentage who members who actually participate in functions and making this work which most never see. :thumb:

Rennie, don't take it personally. I admire you for what you do and being a part of your church. There is only a small percentage who members who actually participate in functions and making this work which most never see. :thumb:
All in good fun, no offense taken as I know none was meant. Part of being a family is being able to take a good-natured poke now and then.:D:wave:

I have to give up football tomorrow to meet a building inspector.
IF a building is close to 85 years old, does anyone think they wont find things that need fixing?
Another ploy in the price reduction game of selling real estate.

Decided at the last minute to tackle another item on my long list of home improvement projects, re-decking the back porch. We have a break in the weather so I need to take advantage of it. How long could it take, just rip it off and re-install, right? I forgot how slow I am and how it always gets more complicated.

Got the wood

Deck  2.jpg

Tearing if off today is going a little slow as one end is installed under the siding, so I can't just rip off. I need to saw off the one end of the boards and come back and remove the small pieces or else I will damage the siding. I also have to remove the screen door assembly and the door threshold.

Deck  3.jpg

Deck  4.jpg

Time for lunch and then back at it.

And my reward when I finish for the day:

Deck  1.jpg

Decided at the last minute to tackle another item on my long list of home improvement projects, re-decking the back porch. We have a break in the weather so I need to take advantage of it. How long could it take, just rip it off and re-install, right? I forgot how slow I am and how it always gets more complicated.

Bill you crack me up. Wait till the weekend is almost over and report what you did do, rather than what you were going to do. A man after my own heart :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This weekend I plan to help move the entertainment stuff to the other side of the room and help dig out the old parquet before the carpet folks show up on Tuesday (oh wait, I already did it) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just busting your chops :):)

bob i dont see no pics,,, and bill what is that? i am sure its good,, had Rebbeccas cooking before:) but not sure if those are potatoes or apples in there?

Apples and it was good!

Bill you crack me up. Wait till the weekend is almost over and report what you did do, rather than what you were going to do. A man after my own heart :rofl::rofl::rofl:

No, it was more like wait until the weekend is over, to decide to do something.:D

And the evidence:

Deck  5.jpg

I always thought demo was the easy part and generally it is, but in this case it was the more difficult. Laying down the new decking will go faster, but I ran out of time and my body quit on me.

Need to replace two joists, one had a rotten top and another had a split in it. I had noticed that there was moisture under all the deck boards at one end (near the door) and was wondering about it until the dryer kicked on. I am going to have to extend the vent out from under the deck. I knew it would be something.

Deck  6.jpg

Last edited:
Just re-route your dryer vent and it'll melt all that pesky snow right off. :D

What's funny (to me, at least) about that is that my brother-in-law has two (yes, two) dryer vents under his deck - right under the doorway.

When my sister runs the dryer(s) it does indeed melt the snow...Then it freezes into a glare of ice, right in front of the door! :rofl::rofl: