SKETCHUP Cabinet Doors

Dave
When I did this tutorial I had trouble with the intersect with model. I selected the style component and did the intersect. But when I went to edit the style entire lines were being erased not just to the intersect points

What I finally determined was happening were the intersect lines that got generated were out side the style component.

What I did was select all the intersect lines copied them then edited the style and did a paste in place now they were intersecting in the style component but I know it shouldn't work this way?

Hope this makes sense:dunno:

Can you handle one more method for coping door rails? Actually this method isn't fundamentally different from the previous example with the five elements. It does show another approach that some may find easier especially in the beginning.

I am adding a zip file of the SKP done in V6. There are three scenes or pages and the second one is intended as an interactive part. I've never done that before so I'd be interested on opinions. Does it help if I leave something for you to do?

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments

• rails and stiles.zip
    17.3 KB · Views: 27
Hey Dave
This method worked for me first time:thumb: For me if ya leave a little out than I need to read/think a little closer :eek: which I think is a good thing

Dave.
question for you the raised panel looks amazing and the rail and stile is very nice to. How did you make the profile on the rail and stile? or is that a template?

Thanks Eddie. This was all done with my calibrated eyeball. No templates. I just drew what seemed right. I would suggest that you consider doing the same thing rather than chasing cutter profiles. It's much faster to eyeball it and the viewer won't know the difference.

Dave, I'm having trouble making it work. I move the cope profile to overlay the rail. When I try to push it through to the other end of the rail, I get a message saying I can't push it all the way through. I am unable to delete or erase any of the leftover parts without removing entire planes or faces of the rounded part of the cope. I also tried the intersect routine without success . . . it says it can't identify any common points. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Edit: OK, got it. I was using the delete option instead of the eraser tool. Am I correct in thinking they serve different functions and act on the objects differently?

Last edited:
Jeff, I'd have to see your model to see what trouble you're having. Delete should work fine but you have to select what you want to delete first. The Eraser tool deletes lines that it touches when you are holding the left mouse button down. Eraser won't erase faces but deleteing an edge will take adjoining faces with it. If you want to erase a face without erasing the bounding edges, select the face and hit the Delete key.

Jeff, I'd have to see your model to see what trouble you're having. Delete should work fine but you have to select what you want to delete first. The Eraser tool deletes lines that it touches when you are holding the left mouse button down. Eraser won't erase faces but deleteing an edge will take adjoining faces with it. If you want to erase a face without erasing the bounding edges, select the face and hit the Delete key.

Ah . . . so there is a distinct difference between the two tools. Good to know.