Vac set up help

Chuck Beland

Well, I bought this Gast pump from someone at a very decent price. My next question is hjow do I set it up to use for my lathe? types & quantity of fittings needed & how to put it together.

Thanks

Attachments

• vac pump.JPG
    vac pump.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 60
Chuck you might try this site. I got most of my fittings and parts from him. He has Steve's tutorial on the website. Lots of great info. Not affiliated just a satisfied customer.

http://www.jtturningtools.com/

Go down toward the bottom on the right side and see "Assembling a Vacuum Chuck System." Tom is great to work with and very helpful.

Last edited:
Bernie,
Thanks, It looks like some of his are plastic connectors, I just want all brass for safety reasons.

Chuck, it's not like compressed air. If something fails, there's no danger. All that happens is you hear a hissing sound. :) That Gast pump can crush a trash can, but it can't throw broken parts at you. ;)

Vac System

Hey Bernie,

What the heck is that VAC system for. I checked out the article and it's way over my head. What exactly are they building there?

When I think VAC I think stabilizing blanks or dust collection. I have no idea what they are using that for. Please explain, looks interesting and I'd love to build more stuff!

Vaughn,
I was more concerned about losing vacuum & having the turning become a missile.

Ah...that makes sense. Although I've found I still use the tailstock for insurance when finishing a bottom, then only move it out of the way to make the last few cuts and to do the sanding. Especially at sanding speeds, it's not real likely to get too ballistic if it comes loose. Still, brass fittings would be a safer bet than plastic. ;)

Hey Bernie,

What the heck is that VAC system for. I checked out the article and it's way over my head. What exactly are they building there?

When I think VAC I think stabilizing blanks or dust collection. I have no idea what they are using that for. Please explain, looks interesting and I'd love to build more stuff!

Drew, a vacuum chuck is used to hold a piece on the lathe, typically when finishing off the bottom of the piece. You attach what's essentially a suction cup to the lathe spindle, then attach a vacuum line on the other end of the spindle (where the hand wheel often is). The trick is to have a swivel connection where the hose attaches to the spindle so the lathe can spin without twisting the hose as it goes.

Yep Vaughn got it. It is for holding pieces on the lathe so you can finish turning them without any interference. Here are some pictures of it connected to the spindle and the next is the bowl being held in place. When the vacuum is on you cannot pull that bowl off until I release the pressure.

Chuck I have the kit he offers because I was to lazy to figure out and order. I have had the vacuum run up to 26 hg and I can see no problems with the plastic at all.

Attachments

• Vacuum Pump 9.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 9.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Vacuum Pump 91.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 91.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Vacuum Pump 92.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 92.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34
  • Vacuum Pump 93.jpg
    Vacuum Pump 93.jpg