For All The Hunters

Dan Mooney

This was allegedly from a San Francisco newspaper. It's really scary how some people think! :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Meat.01.jpg
    Meat.01.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 108
There are many valid reasons to kill animals, but killing for pleasure is not one of them. That's my major objection to sport hunting - it's done just for the pleasure of the shooter - the enjoyment the hunter gets in seeing the animal killed.

Sure, sport hunters tell you they eat what they kill, but that's the most expensive meat around when you factor the cost of the weapon, ammunition, clothes, hunting license, travel, etc. If all they were looking for was food they could get it a lot cheaper at the grocery store.

In some parts of the country we have too many deer because we killed off the predators. Personally, I'd prefer that we hired hunters to thin the herd, or use poison to reduce their numbers. But allowing sport hunting is cheaper for the local government.

Allowing people to kill for pleasure diminishes us as a people.

Mike

Last edited:
There are many valid reasons to kill animals, but killing for pleasure is not one of them. That's my major objection to sport hunting - it's done just for the pleasure of the shooter - the enjoyment the hunter gets in seeing the animal killed.

Sure, sport hunters tell you they eat what they kill, but that's the most expensive meat around when you factor the cost of the weapon, ammunition, clothes, hunting license, travel, etc. If all they were looking for was food they could get it a lot cheaper at the grocery store.

In some parts of the country we have too many deer because we killed off the predators. Personally, I'd prefer that we hired hunters to thin the herd, or use poison to reduce their numbers. But allowing sport hunting is cheaper for the local government.

Allowing people to kill for pleasure diminishes us as a people.

Mike

My appoligies, it was not my intention to open a can of worms about Hunting/Anti-Hunting.

My point was that someone could actually believe that meat was made in a store without animals being hurt. To me it's like the people that appear on shows like Jerry Springer, They not only do some incredibly stupid things, I don't fault them that, we all do some stupid things now and then, but then they want to come on national television and tell the world about it.

Someone once said: It's better to keep quiet and have people think you're a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Last edited:
"Meat" is often manufactured from soy or other plant material for those who wish to prepare "meat" dishes (example: meatballs and spaghetti) but are either vegetarian or have moral objections to eating flesh. Since that article is purportedly from San Francisco, it's possible the writer was addressing that group of people, who would understand his/her meaning.

Often statements intended for a certain group of people, especially in the shorthand of a newspaper, can be read differently by another group of people who do not have the same background.

I really doubt if someone would be unaware that real (not manufactured) meat comes from animals.

Mike

Last edited:
I like a lot of folks would rather eat my meat from fresh kill, than worrie what has been put in it from the big mega farmers.If it cost more than IMO it's well worth it.These big mega farmers have all ready run off most of the small family farmers. So bless Willie, Dave,John, and Neal, for doing some thing to help our small family farms.(farm aid) I know you were talking about hunting, but wheather hunting fresh game, or raising fresh game is the same to me.
And by the way i have eaten some of them bean burgers and i woun't do it again.:D
Steve

Last edited:
I know a lot of hunters and there are only a hand full who do not have the utmost respect for the hunt. Those guys I do not associate with.
Like I told my boys as they were growing up and the table always had venison on it, I like to watch the deer as much as the next guy and I have let thousands of deer walk past me. There are deer for jerky, deer for stakes deer for stew and burger and it's work. For something most call a sport have never gotten deeply evolved in it. It is also a God given right handed down to each hunter since Cain and Able.
One of my favorite passages in the bible is a Psalm by David when he says; As the deer pants for water so my soul longs for you. David was a hunter and knew when deer were gut shot they headed for water. It is a pain staking event when one is wounded and needs to be tracked and finished off. Killing deer is not taken lightly by me or any of they guys I hunt with.

I like a lot of folks would rather eat my meat from fresh kill, than worrie what has been put in it from the big mega farmers.If it cost more than IMO it's well worth it.These big mega farmers have all ready run off most of the small family farmers. So bless Willie, Dave,John, and Neal, for doing some thing to help our small family farms.(farm aid) I know you were talking about hunting, but wheather hunting fresh game, or raising fresh game is the same to me.
And by the way i have eaten some of them bean burgers and i woun't do it again.:D
Steve
I'm sure you're aware that you can buy organic meat that was raised without any additives, if that's your primary concern.

Also, nature often adds it's own additives which are not good for humans, including prions which can eat your brain.

Mike

Never could figure out that organic meat. They still fertilize the grasses that the animals eat, so it would seem that those same chemicals end up in the organic meat. I dunno:huh::huh:

Mike, your statement: "That's my major objection to sport hunting - it's done just for the pleasure of the shooter - the enjoyment the hunter gets in seeing the animal killed."..... is one that can be hotly disputed by many hunters.
It would take many words that could stray into areas prohibited here to argue your view.
Suffice it to say, I believe you are drastically mistaken.
FWIW, hunters, the first conservationists (farmers the second) have contributed money and knowledge that built the population of whitetail deer to 500 times what it was when Columbus landed. The same is true of many, if not all, other game species. Some species almost extinct on other continents are now thriving in the U.S.
I won't even get into "soy" meat. Yech.

Mike, your statement: "That's my major objection to sport hunting - it's done just for the pleasure of the shooter - the enjoyment the hunter gets in seeing the animal killed."..... is one that can be hotly disputed by many hunters.
It would take many words that could stray into areas prohibited here to argue your view.
Suffice it to say, I believe you are drastically mistaken.
FWIW, hunters, the first conservationists (farmers the second) have contributed money and knowledge that built the population of whitetail deer to 500 times what it was when Columbus landed. The same is true of many, if not all, other game species. Some species almost extinct on other continents are now thriving in the U.S.
I won't even get into "soy" meat. Yech.
Frank - I don't know why else people would hunt, unless they enjoyed the hunt and the kill. If they just wanted to commune with nature they could go out and look at animals, or even camp without any animals.

Hunters want to "conserve" certain species in order to have more to hunt in the future.

But the real question is "Why do people hunt?" I maintain it's because they enjoy the hunt and the kill. And my morality does not allow me to kill unless it's necessary. It certainly does not permit killing for enjoyment.

I don't care if people eat meat - I eat meat. But that meat is not the result of me killing for pleasure (or enjoyment).

Mike

OK it appears we have a wide difference of opinions here, so how about we all agree to disagree and move on. This time tomorrow this topic will be toward the bottom of this page and forgotten.

Guys, this topic is not one that will be solved here.

I recommend resolving to agree to disagree, and would suggest that our time would be better off spent on other projects.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.