Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this piece didnt make it.

this piece didnt make it.

I tried, Im not happy with it. I only continued till the end for my wife. she wants it, so Ill let her stick it the spare bedroom where it wont be seen other than a guest now and then. I take blame for alot of the miscuts dovetails, but I dont think I used the right jig for this job.
    After a few builds, I will start over again on one tiny small solid cabinet project.(I will get a different jig by then)
    I dont mind posting my failed attempt. I think I had a nice little design going.
    If you need to know, I used only short pieces and didnt want to take anything off the wood rack, so the rear right leg is spanish cedar while the other 3 are mahogany. Just what I had and didnt mind playing with.
    My wife is gone for the weekend, so when she gets home, she can buff out the oil if she feels the need, Im done with this piece.I fixed another cracked edge of a tail, and then carrying the piece in yesterday, the screen handle nipped off a tiny piece on the edge of one of the right front tails on the drawer.My son gave me a new camera, 12 mp, with a closeup button he showed me how to use, one that wont shake even when my hands are bad, not a bad picture that last closeup shot. I like this little camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 071 (Medium).jpg   bed 072 (Medium).jpg   bed 073 (Medium).jpg   bed 074 (Medium).jpg   bed 082 (Medium).jpg  

Last edited by allen levine; 12-04-2010 at 07:05 PM.

allen, you did one heck of a job. you've learned new things with this design. how else do we learn, other than to try, and then improve upon what we have done? you did good work, now get cracking on the next one.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

allen i have to disagree,,,your wife is right!!! this a completly differnt style from your norm and is just fine..those mistake that yu know so well and told us of wont be seen by anyone but another woodworker, and alot them wont see them either..that style you got there is something i have seen similar by a very well know master so continue on and make yur ideas and wood into something new.. and stop tellun us yur mistakes just show us the project ,,go allen go
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    I agree with Larry.If you hadn't showed them to us no one would of ever known. I think you did a top notch job and your wife has a right to really like it.
    Steve

There are projects that seem just a list of mistakes one after the other, I felt the same with my seven drawer dresser, and I finished it to prove it and myself it was not going to beat me!

That is good looking piece Allen, and only you know where the mistakes are, so if you don't point them out nobody will notice, but if you do people (not us woodworkers) will cling onto that and they will look for every single detail and point them out to you, which they wouldn't dare if they were talking to a "pro".

So don't give them the cue. I'm sure that when you forget about all the problems you had and look at it again, you will tell to yourself " It wasn't that bad", because in reality it is not but good.!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    There are projects that seem just a list of mistakes one after the other, I felt the same with my seven drawer dresser, and I finished it to prove it and myself it was not going to beat me!

and the pictures of this seven drawer dresser are where????/?

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    Not yet Larry, not yet...
    I'm waiting for the wind to calm down so I can spray it with lacquer, I've got everything ready but it keeps on blowing on weekends.
    I haven't a spray booth and I have to spray outside, and I don't want to get dust or tree leaves on it while I'm spraying it..

We'll see tomorrow...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I appreciate the kind comments, but Ive invested way too many hours into a one drawer small table to not have it come out better than this.
    I went back to the garage updating today.
    Its bitter cold outside with winds kicking up low wind chills. It feels like snow is in the air.
    I dont need much to just keep the chill out of the air. I might give my neighbors propane patio heater a try, with the tank outside, the heater inside.
    I just have to find out if I can work in an indoor space with that heater.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I appreciate the kind comments, but Ive invested way too many hours into a one drawer small table to not have it come out better than this.
    I went back to the garage updating today.
    Its bitter cold outside with winds kicking up low wind chills. It feels like snow is in the air.
    I dont need much to just keep the chill out of the air. I might give my neighbors propane patio heater a try, with the tank outside, the heater inside.
    I just have to find out if I can work in an indoor space with that heater.
    allen rome wasnt built in a day, and sometime we have many obstacles in our way to get threw to get somewhere but we still need to get there..yu didnt quit ,yu keep going and made it into something very usable and unique in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post

Exactly what popped into my mind!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com