Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Burl Bowl

Cherry Burl Bowl

I finally got the cherry burl bowls finished. The finish really made the character pop as everyone said would happen in my previous post.

The first two pictures shows the burl with my chain saw. The second picture shows the natural place to cut the burl - I'll let the picture speak for itself.

The rest are pictures of one of the burl bowls finished. 9" dia x 2 1/2" deep. You can see the knot hole in the fourth picture. I call it level control.

The bowl sold already to one of the women at work. The contribution has been passed on already to Doug Thompson for a 1/2 V and 5/8 V bowl gouges.

The other bowl (not pictured yet) is for my parents for a Christmas present.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6281459.jpg   P6281460.jpg   PC030007.jpg   PC030004.jpg   PC030003.jpg  

PC030005.jpg  
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

well done rich and thats fine burl on such a young tree..got a oak one that i need to get cut out for guy..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Cool work Rich!! I've yet to tackle a burl, don't know enough about the simple stuff yet . Those pic's speak volumes
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    rich,
    I like it a lot....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Very nice Rich !!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Rich that turned out really great.

Great job Rich. I'm glad you showed first. I have several LARGE pieces, I have been let dry out for a year. Now I know what I'll be seeing and can't wait to put one of them on the lathe.

I have to do THE CANDY MAN"S Chocolate first.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Thanks for the compliments. This burl was wet when rough turned and I soaked in DNA for 24 hours before bagging. I finish turned it after about 6 weeks in a bag. I found it to be hard material and it cut slower, but was easier to keep round because the hardness was more consistent.

Another person asked if this was plumber's burl because of the second picture - I couldn't have said it any better.

One of my neighbors gave me a burl on last night. It seems quite dry, but tomorrow I am going to try to turn it. Because I dont know how long it has dried, I will soak it in DNA after roughing and let it dry in a bag for a few weeks. This one has some real nice tight bark. I am temped to do a natural edge, but I am a little hesitant. I want to make sure I get something out of it. On the other hand, if the bark comes off, who cares. It will still be nice.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 12-05-2010 at 03:35 AM.
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Looking really good Rich. What is the finish ?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............