Cherry Burl Bowl

Rich Aldrich

I finally got the cherry burl bowls finished. The finish really made the character pop as everyone said would happen in my previous post.

The first two pictures shows the burl with my chain saw. The second picture shows the natural place to cut the burl - I'll let the picture speak for itself.

The rest are pictures of one of the burl bowls finished. 9" dia x 2 1/2" deep. You can see the knot hole in the fourth picture. I call it level control.

The bowl sold already to one of the women at work. The contribution has been passed on already to Doug Thompson for a 1/2 V and 5/8 V bowl gouges.

The other bowl (not pictured yet) is for my parents for a Christmas present.

Attachments

• P6281459.jpg
    P6281459.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 48
  • P6281460.jpg
    P6281460.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 51
  • PC030007.jpg
    PC030007.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 53
  • PC030004.jpg
    PC030004.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 48
  • PC030003.jpg
    PC030003.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 48
  • PC030005.jpg
    PC030005.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 49
Cool work Rich!! I've yet to tackle a burl, don't know enough about the simple stuff yet :eek:. Those pic's speak volumes:thumb::thumb:

Great job Rich. I'm glad you showed first. I have several LARGE pieces, I have been let dry out for a year. Now I know what I'll be seeing and can't wait to put one of them on the lathe.

I have to do THE CANDY MAN"S Chocolate first.

Bruce

Thanks for the compliments. This burl was wet when rough turned and I soaked in DNA for 24 hours before bagging. I finish turned it after about 6 weeks in a bag. I found it to be hard material and it cut slower, but was easier to keep round because the hardness was more consistent.

Another person asked if this was plumber's burl because of the second picture - I couldn't have said it any better.

One of my neighbors gave me a burl on last night. It seems quite dry, but tomorrow I am going to try to turn it. Because I dont know how long it has dried, I will soak it in DNA after roughing and let it dry in a bag for a few weeks. This one has some real nice tight bark. I am temped to do a natural edge, but I am a little hesitant. I want to make sure I get something out of it. On the other hand, if the bark comes off, who cares. It will still be nice.

Last edited:
That came out looking sweet, Rich. :clap:

Looking forward to seeing what you made out of the other cheek of that burl. :D