Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got heat

Got heat

Spent the day installing the wood stove and chimney. Fired it up about an hour ago and had about 1 degree change...from 29 to 30 degrees. Just got a new blower installed right before I came down to the house, so will see if there is an improvement when I head back up in a few minutes. Still have some drafts to plug on the back side and with no insulation or ceiling I don't expect it to get much over 40 overall in this weather, but at least I have something to sit down by to warm back up.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101204_163426.jpg   IMG_20101204_170050.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

To quote Paris Hilton...

That's hot.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey, heat is heat! +1 degree is better than nothing!

Thanks,

Bill

Looking warmer already Darren
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Well did it ever raise it 2 degrees?

That's a big space you got there. It will be nice to have a warm spot out there though!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Well did it ever raise it 2 degrees?
    Didn't stay out there much later, was just wanting to fire it and check the draft on it, which was pretty good. Have another 2' section of chimney I can add, but doesn't look like I'll need it.

The "seasoned" oak I bought wasn't, didn't burn very well once the pine starters burned off, so didn't get a really good hot fire in it. Got other wood to burn, so will let that oak sit for a while to season or put it on top once I get a coal bed built up.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Now that would heat my shop. But the chances of an explosion would be a little to high. Good old wood heat , you'll be toasty
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

If yours has the flat rack on the bottom like mine, it is a rough start. Like you said, once some good hot coals are going, it will eat anything.

I have found that mine likes small pieces. About big as your elbow.

Spent the day repairing the siding on the building and closing up gaps. Fired up the stove at 8:00. It was 25 degrees out, the stove got it up to about 44 inside and stayed there most of the day, but had some pretty big gaps to fill otherwise I think it would have been warmer.

Gaps on the South wall, have to install a header over the side garage door to close some of these up, I stuffed this with bat insulation for now until those repairs are made.

The East wall, note the siding that is lapped on the wrong side. Water ran down this wall on the inside when it rained. This was repaired today (see following pic)

The North wall, just had to fill in the holes in the corrugated metal around the structure to seal it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    If yours has the flat rack on the bottom like mine, it is a rough start. Like you said, once some good hot coals are going, it will eat anything.

I have found that mine likes small pieces. About big as your elbow.
    Yup, got the flat rack, grew up with one like it. Usually leave the ash pit door open on these until the fire gets going, runs pretty good once it's got a bed of coals. Will be burning a bunch of 2x4's. My nephew is removing a all the walls from his basement. It had some water in it for a few months before he bought the place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101205_115313.jpg   IMG_20101205_115332.jpg   IMG_20101205_115351.jpg   IMG_20101205_163103.jpg  
    Darren