Got heat

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Spent the day installing the wood stove and chimney. Fired it up about an hour ago and had about 1 degree change...from 29 to 30 degrees. Just got a new blower installed right before I came down to the house, so will see if there is an improvement when I head back up in a few minutes. Still have some drafts to plug on the back side and with no insulation or ceiling I don't expect it to get much over 40 overall in this weather, but at least I have something to sit down by to warm back up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20101204_163426.jpg
    IMG_20101204_163426.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20101204_170050.jpg
    IMG_20101204_170050.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 84
Well did it ever raise it 2 degrees?

Didn't stay out there much later, was just wanting to fire it and check the draft on it, which was pretty good. Have another 2' section of chimney I can add, but doesn't look like I'll need it.

The "seasoned" oak I bought wasn't, didn't burn very well once the pine starters burned off, so didn't get a really good hot fire in it. Got other wood to burn, so will let that oak sit for a while to season or put it on top once I get a coal bed built up.

If yours has the flat rack on the bottom like mine, it is a rough start. Like you said, once some good hot coals are going, it will eat anything.

I have found that mine likes small pieces. About big as your elbow.

Spent the day repairing the siding on the building and closing up gaps. Fired up the stove at 8:00. It was 25 degrees out, the stove got it up to about 44 inside and stayed there most of the day, but had some pretty big gaps to fill otherwise I think it would have been warmer.

Gaps on the South wall, have to install a header over the side garage door to close some of these up, I stuffed this with bat insulation for now until those repairs are made.
attachment.php

The East wall, note the siding that is lapped on the wrong side. Water ran down this wall on the inside when it rained. This was repaired today (see following pic)
attachment.php

attachment.php

The North wall, just had to fill in the holes in the corrugated metal around the structure to seal it off.
attachment.php

If yours has the flat rack on the bottom like mine, it is a rough start. Like you said, once some good hot coals are going, it will eat anything.

I have found that mine likes small pieces. About big as your elbow.

Yup, got the flat rack, grew up with one like it. Usually leave the ash pit door open on these until the fire gets going, runs pretty good once it's got a bed of coals. Will be burning a bunch of 2x4's. My nephew is removing a all the walls from his basement. It had some water in it for a few months before he bought the place.

Attachments

• IMG_20101205_115313.jpg
    IMG_20101205_115313.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20101205_115332.jpg
    IMG_20101205_115332.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20101205_115351.jpg
    IMG_20101205_115351.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20101205_163103.jpg
    IMG_20101205_163103.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 35
with that much space to try and heat darren without any insulation is gonna be tough,, its almost like heating the whole outdoors...so once you get thing closed ina dn some walls in place you can really see how toasty you will be..even if yu put up plastic on the trusses for a temporary ceiling it would help keep some of the heat down

Yeah, That's a real nice windbreak you have for the stove there!

Any plans on putting up a ceiling or insulating the building someday?

Yup, plastic is on the list of things to get. I plan to put up a steel ceiling in the spring and blow in insulation on top of it. May only do half and partition the front half off which will give me 30' X 32' of space with 12' ceilings. I was surprised yesterday when it got as warm as it did, but as soon as the sun went down, it lost about 10 degrees. Will just keep a small fire and use it for warming back up for now. At least it makes it bearable to work out there, even if I have to take some heat breaks.