Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shop built wood storage rack, stationary.

shop built wood storage rack, stationary.

Looking for some more ideas on storage for solid wood and ply/MDF pieces less than 12" wide. Sheets will store elsewhere. OSB on walls, so can't wrap around the studs, but can lag into them. Would prefer the unit not stick out more that 14-16" from the wall. Mobile wood cart won't work. I've seen two ideas on the internet, one uses 2 X 4 construction, the other is Plywood construction, and probably the more forgiving to implement a flat surface of the two. I've sort of been watching for the commercial wood racks to go on sale again, but haven't seen anything and a good enough price. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

2x4's anchored to the stud with 1"pipe in holes worked for me for along time jim.yu drill the holes at a angle so they squess down into the bottom and the threads grip in the back.. and the pipe can be gotten at most hardwares i used 14" to get a 12" shelf and i had then every 2ft for added support.
    Last edited by larry merlau; 12-05-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I got these at Lowe's. Not shop built but even if I paid myself $3 an hour I think I came out ahead. The pipe into 2x4 idea is used a lot and looks to work great. I see some folks slip PVC over the pipe to avoid marks(?). Don't know if that's a belt and suspenders or not.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-05-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

i have seen those, and they do work quite well jim,, hold alot of weight as long as you anchor them to studs..the ones glenn mentions
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

+1 on the shelf support hangers from lowes. I had them at my old house and at the new one.

I priced the double row Rubbermaid units at lowes dot com, and for the 7 verticals I need, and 4 12" shelves per vertical, I'm over 250 smackers plus tax. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! It just isn't in the budget. Rockler has a version with 2 verticals and 3 brackets per on sale at 24.99. I might be able to get by with 3 sets, but need to see if they sell the brackets extra. Still, 75.00 when I could build out of wood for maybe 60.00 (2 sheets of ply, probably 1/2") The store bought units would be easier to adjust height, and more likely to keep level between brackets. Might have to wait and see what Santa brings me, then decide. Thanks for your input! Still open to other ideas, or vendors. Jim.

edit: Just looked at the Rockler ad again...only 24" tall. I need 48" tall standards.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 12-06-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added edit
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I got these at Lowe's. Not shop built but even if I paid myself $3 an hour I think I came out ahead. The pipe into 2x4 idea is used a lot and looks to work great. I see some folks slip PVC over the pipe to avoid marks(?). Don't know if that's a belt and suspenders or not.
    That idea is good for the young and strong. I couldn't lift that wood up there. And, I would drop on my head trying to get stuff down.
    Enjoy while you can.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

OK, another related question...Anyone else make this stuff other than Rubbermaid? That is the only brand I can find so far. The Container Store may have it, but I'd think it would be more expensive. I like the idea of it, and I found 5 of the 11.5" brackets we had left over from using it at our last house, so that helps some, but still, it will break the budget. Any other ideas? Thanks!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    OK, another related question...Anyone else make this stuff other than Rubbermaid?...Jim.
    There's "Closet Maid" or something like that. Home Depot carries it, but it's not much cheaper than the Rubbermaid.

The stuff at Container Store is Elfaź, and it's way more expensive than the Rubbermaid.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Jim build your own. This rack is 2x4 with the holes for the 1/2" pipe are drilled at a 3-5 degree angle up & I inset 3/4" material in the back top & bottom. I lagged a 2x4 on the wall & then set the rack on top of it & ran a couple of screws through it into the wall to hold it there until I lagged it to the wall as well. The 100 BF of white oak set where you see the wide gap in the pipes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A1 myshop 093.jpg   lumber rack.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart