Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spalted holly HF

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

Spalted holly HF

This i'm not sure if i should leave the finial on or leave if off. I like the finial just not sure it goes with this piece.I got the smallest part of it down to just over 1/16. it's made from cherry and just black lacquer finish. the HF is 6x3, and finish is shellac, wax, buff. Need your opinion on the finial. of course any other critiques welcome also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 045 [800x600].JPG   004 [800x600].JPG   050 [800x600].JPG   054 [800x600].JPG  

Steve, I like the HF itself, and I think the finial goes very well with it. Nothing to criticize that I can see. Subtle coloration in the holly is great.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I like the piece and I like the fennel, I an still thinking about the two together. The fennel seems a bit tall for the piece, but I'll think about it a bit and let you know.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Stephen----------------------- Keep the finial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Ditto what Bruce said. Nice form and keep the finial.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I really like the finial and the hollow form, but I agree with Don that a bit shorter finial would fit the vessel better. As an example, I think the finial would fit better scale-wise if it ended with just the ball element that's below the tip, or maybe even a bit shorter. (But that's just one person's opinion...others will prefer the longer finial.) One nice thing about finials is you can make several and decide which one fits the best. You can always use the leftovers on other pieces, even Christmas ornaments.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice job. I would keep the finial
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Love the holly form and it's a nice finial.....but.... + 1 to a shorter version.
    I need a few more pieces under my belt, and then Im going to try stretching out. Thanks for posting!
    mj

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Thanks all. Ken the color in the holly is something i hadn't expected. I kind of like it to. As far as the finial. The hight is what i wasn't sure of my self. I had made a shorter one and didn't like that, that's when i made this. I guess i'll have to make one some where in the middle and see if i like that. I asked the wife but she don't like HF's, so she just says what ever.

I'm not a big fan of the look of finials. Don't really understand the need for them. But both pieces are beautifully done. I really like the HF
    Faith, Hope & Charity