Spalted holly HF

This i'm not sure if i should leave the finial on or leave if off.:dunno: I like the finial just not sure it goes with this piece.I got the smallest part of it down to just over 1/16. it's made from cherry and just black lacquer finish. the HF is 6x3, and finish is shellac, wax, buff. Need your opinion on the finial. of course any other critiques welcome also.

Attachments

• 045 [800x600].JPG
    045 [800x600].JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 050 [800x600].JPG
    050 [800x600].JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 054 [800x600].JPG
    054 [800x600].JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 48
Steve, I like the HF itself, and I think the finial goes very well with it. Nothing to criticize that I can see. Subtle coloration in the holly is great.

I really like the finial and the hollow form, but I agree with Don that a bit shorter finial would fit the vessel better. As an example, I think the finial would fit better scale-wise if it ended with just the ball element that's below the tip, or maybe even a bit shorter. (But that's just one person's opinion...others will prefer the longer finial.) One nice thing about finials is you can make several and decide which one fits the best. You can always use the leftovers on other pieces, even Christmas ornaments.

Love the holly form and it's a nice finial.....but.... + 1 to a shorter version.
I need a few more pieces under my belt, and then Im going to try stretching out. Thanks for posting!
mj

Thanks all. Ken the color in the holly is something i hadn't expected. I kind of like it to.:) As far as the finial. The hight is what i wasn't sure of my self.:huh: I had made a shorter one and didn't like that, that's when i made this. I guess i'll have to make one some where in the middle and see if i like that. I asked the wife but she don't like HF's, so she just says what ever.:rolleyes:

Bob, the finial is there to keep all the hollow from leaking out. :p Either that, or when someone asks "What's a hollow form for?", we can say "It's for storing finials."

i am not a person that can or will do this kind of work steve but my first thought after looking at it was it was a tad to high as well.. to me it needs to be about a third shorter.. like the style of it but shorter.. is there a formula out there for proper design on this kind of thing like the golden proportion in cabinet making???

The hollow form stands alone as a fine piece.
But, with the finial, the entire project is lifted to another level. The finial demonstrates a different, and challenging skill beyond that of the hollow form by itself.
It is not too tall, it is an artistic creation you made. It is what it is.
Keep it and gloat. :thumb:

Nice job Steve:thumb: I can't do finials, so my opinion is usless, but the rest is cool! If you have a good source for spalted holly...pass it on?...maybe...pretty please?:rofl::rofl:

Nice job Steve:thumb: I can't do finials, so my opinion is usless, but the rest is cool! If you have a good source for spalted holly...pass it on?...maybe...pretty please?:rofl::rofl:

Thanks all. I think i'm gonna make a couple other ones and see if i like one of them better. Gives me reason to keep praticing.:D
Jim i do have some more of this holly, Might be willing to make a swap if your up to it. That goes to anyone else also.
Steve

Stephen,
That is a great piece... I don't do a lot of HF's, but like to do one every now and then... people usually ask "what do you do with them.. what are they for"... I always tell them, "Nothing, they're just for looking pretty on your coffee table"..

That's a really nice piece of holly... mine is too small to get much of a form, might get a small one... don't know if it's spalted inside or not... guess I should look one of these days.