Compressors

Karl Brogger

Tell me what you know about any brands of compressors.

Looking for at 20-25cfm at 150psi. I'm interested in screw type. (can't stand the noise of a piston type)

Is the variable speed type actually save enough energy to offset the cost?

oil lubricated?

Currently looking at C-aire, and Atlas Copco.

the only two I have had any dealings with were Gardener Denver and IR both of which performed great. This was some years ago before they had the variable speed option. I did a google on it and found a PDF file, they stated that the variable speed would save enough money to pay for the compressor, don't know how long that would take but it I believe that the saving in wear and tear of constant cycling would be a good thing. JMHO

Hear the one you want running before buying it Karl. We have a Atlas Copco at work, 11hp??? (GZ 11 ff) and they told us it was quieter than an refrigerator:rolleyes: and it is loud enough to cover up the sound of a 747 :eek: then they said thats normal:huh:. I do know they are SUPPOSE to be quieter just be sure to hear one first to be sure:thumb:

We run ingersoll rand and gardner denver compressors and have very little problems with them. I think you're looking at around a 15 hp compressor. I'm really not sure what the price difference is between variable speed and non, but continual use of a 15hp motor for a year is around $6000-8,000 a year in electricity. I'm sure you're no where near 24/7 use, but yeah electrical cost of compressed air is a lot.

Where it's probably the most important is the quantity of air you use when you're using it. The variable speed is probalby going to be able to deal with a continual partial load better. If you're alternating between near full load and no load, I think thinnk the regular one should do everything you want. Sizing the compressor correctly for the application can do as much as variable speed can sometimes. I'd call up the local gardner denver or IR sales reps at least, they can give you a lot of help determining what's best for your application and give you a quote. That part doesn't cost anything.

Where it's probably the most important is the quantity of air you use when you're using it.

That's the million dollar question. I can go a whole day hardly using any air. My main user of compressed air is the air powered sanders. Those things are hogs. After that I've got a coping sled that is pnuematic, and bleeds air through the base so it rides on air. After that nail guns don't really use much, widebelt doesn't use a heck of a lot. I don't think any of the pnuematic clamps are all that big a users either.

Jeb Taylor said:
The variable speed is probably going to be able to deal with a continual partial load better. If you're alternating between near full load and no load, I think think the regular one should do everything you want.

I need it to support two sanders for sure, but that isn't that often either. I'm thinking the variable speed would be the smartest for when I don't need all of the compressor.

Jeb Taylor said:
Sizing the compressor correctly for the application can do as much as variable speed can sometimes. I'd call up the local gardner denver or IR sales reps at least, they can give you a lot of help determining what's best for your application and give you a quote. That part doesn't cost anything.

That's definitely what I should do.

We just put in a new compressor at work I think it's a 200 HP compressor and the thing is so quiet I had to put my hand on it to see if it was running. The brand name is Almig it's variable speed and I believe it's a German company.

Just being a screw type compressor won't make it any quiter. We have a Palatek brand that's a screw compressor and it's so loud you can't evev think while your in the same room.

Jerry

We're getting ready to buy a 12-15 cfm one and LOML has researched all of them. After a long career in commercial construction, LOML said that if he needed a *bigger* one he would buy a Quincy.

here is a link to quincy brand karl.. i have a older one that does me well and the company it came from is a very large pharmacutical company that needs quality products.. they also have the screw version your looking at .. never heard a screw type would be intersted hearing one to compare..

http://www.quincycompressor.com/products.html

What he said +1