Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Aspirin a wonder Drug ?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Is Aspirin a wonder Drug ?

Interesting article on the effect of taking aspirin to prevent certain types of cancer. I already knew about taking a low dose of aspirin to prevent heart attacks.
    Here is the link
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don't hear of it as much anymore, but back in the 80's there were things about Rye Syndrome (sp?) that dealt with kids taking aspirin and was bad for them? I don't remember the particulars. Been on an aspirin a day regime for the past six or seven years.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I take a half an asprin daily for the heart benefits.
    Mine is still beating to it must work.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Thanks Don. Great article. I'm a big believer in aspirin. And about that Reye's Syndrome stuff, my kids were born in Europe, and in Europe they say the risk of Reye's Syndrome is smaller than the risk of a kid with high fever having convulsions and complications. So aspirin is prescribed regularly for kids with high fevers.........I always used it.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I take 3 a day.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I take 3 a day.
    so does that mean we get to have you around three times longer i hope so
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I take 3 a day.
    Don't cut yerself.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Been taking one per day for about fifteen years, now. Don't know if it benefits, but figure it sure can't hurt.

BTW, no coagulation problems, either - doctor didn't even ask me to stop taking it prior to recent surgery.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Don't cut yerself.
    My blood is a bit thin I ususally stop bleeding after an hour or two. If the cut is giving me pain I take a couple more aspirin
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I would be very careful to jump onto conclusions and start taking them dayly.

After all it is a drug and as all drugs it has side effects, the anticoagulation one that seems beneficial it is not as it enahnces the risks of having a stroke or vascular accident.

Besides it may affect your kidneys and liver.
    The theory says that cells that are under continued stress ( read inflamation) are more prone to become cancerigen cells. As aspirin is an anti inflamatory it seems it lowers that risk.

I just heard an expert talking about it on the radio and he was rather cautious to jump into definite afirmations.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...