Is Aspirin a wonder Drug ?

Don't hear of it as much anymore, but back in the 80's there were things about Rye Syndrome (sp?) that dealt with kids taking aspirin and was bad for them? I don't remember the particulars. Been on an aspirin a day regime for the past six or seven years.

Thanks Don. Great article. I'm a big believer in aspirin. And about that Reye's Syndrome stuff, my kids were born in Europe, and in Europe they say the risk of Reye's Syndrome is smaller than the risk of a kid with high fever having convulsions and complications. So aspirin is prescribed regularly for kids with high fevers.........I always used it.

Been taking one per day for about fifteen years, now. Don't know if it benefits, but figure it sure can't hurt.

BTW, no coagulation problems, either - doctor didn't even ask me to stop taking it prior to recent surgery.

I would be very careful to jump onto conclusions and start taking them dayly.

After all it is a drug and as all drugs it has side effects, the anticoagulation one that seems beneficial it is not as it enahnces the risks of having a stroke or vascular accident.

Besides it may affect your kidneys and liver.
The theory says that cells that are under continued stress ( read inflamation) are more prone to become cancerigen cells. As aspirin is an anti inflamatory it seems it lowers that risk.

I just heard an expert talking about it on the radio and he was rather cautious to jump into definite afirmations.:dunno:

I've taken a whole 325mg aspirin each day for over 20 years. When my doctor told me to start on the aspirin regimen, he didn't say which dosage to use so I just started on what we had at home. When I checked the prices, low-dose (81mg) cost way more than regular 325mg. Being rather frugal (cheap?), I went with the 325mg. Checking with my doctor later, he said that there's nothing wrong with using a 325mg as long as it didn't bother my stomach. Seems that some folks don't tolerate a lot of aspirin. :dunno:

I would urge caution on this. Aspirin IS a drug, and a potent one at that. It can cause kidney damage, GI bleeds and increases the risk of intracranial hemorrhage, [a "brain bleed"]. It's been clearly shown to help people at high risk of a cardiac event, such as those with existing heart disease, or diabetes. But for the rest of the general healthy population, I think there needs to be more evidence before this becomes what we all do.

Ask yourself - is it really sensible to think that taking a drug which interferes with blood clotting, the inflammatory reaction [part of our immune system], and increases the risk of a GI bleed wiser than letting our bodies take care of themselves?

Remember Vit E? Now not recommended. Remember megavitamins? Ditto. There have been many drugs touted as the latest and greatest.
For those whose physicians have recommended taking aspirin, follow their advice. But for those of us who are thinking, "well I might as well take it," I'm not so sure. Just my not so humble opinion.

Ken's comments are on target.
I try to keep up with health matters. In the past couple years there have been several studies regarding the daily use of aspirin. I do wish these 'studies' could come to the same conclusion sometime. However these recent studies showed larger doses than the 'low dose' are recommended. One even did tout benefits from taking three adult size a day. That scared me. Others gave different doses. I went with a gut judgement and increased from the tiny dose to a half adult per day. I have a pill splitter. Refilling my daily pill dispenser is a weekly ritual for me.

Ken's comments are on target.
I try to keep up with health matters. In the past couple years there have been several studies regarding the daily use of aspirin. I do wish these 'studies' could come to the same conclusion sometime. However these recent studies showed larger doses than the 'low dose' are recommended. One even did tout benefits from taking three adult size a day. That scared me. Others gave different doses. I went with a gut judgement and increased from the tiny dose to a half adult per day. I have a pill splitter. Refilling my daily pill dispenser is a weekly ritual for me.

You're right to be wary of taking too much aspirin... my cardiologist assigned me to take an aspirin a day... he didn't say the low dose, which is what it should have been....I took a full 325 mg aspirin every day... I got to the point that a nick in the skin was a blood gusher.... if I scraped my are or rubbed it against something in the normal course of doing something, I would get a huge blood blotch under the skin...when I moved to TN I saw a different doctor and he was shocked at the amount I was taking... he cut me back to the 81 mg... no more blotches and only minimal bleeding from a cut... my father died at 74 from a massive heart attack... I'll be 70 in September and since there's a long history of heart problems in the family, so I pay attention to that part...

I don't sort my pills daily... I only take a few anyway, but my wife sets hers up every week... she takes a handful about 2 times a day.

Well your gonna freek when you here what i take.:eek: I take at least 4 BC powers each and every day. Have been for the last 15 years. Just checked the box and they say there our 845 mg of asprin in each powder. that's 3,380 mg of asprin a day for the last 15 years.:eek: No i don't have any trouble with my blood clotting. I got hit by a nail today in my neck put a nice little gash but it stopped in just a few min. The last time i cut part of a finger off(about 6 years ago) It had all but stoped bleeding by the time i got to the ER.
Steve

i just got my yearly physical and asked my doctor the question and he said that the baby aspirin is fine in his opinion but not any higher dose for my present condition so your condition may differ, but before listening to the news i would ask my doctor first.. they have been taught what is right and have to keep up on the latest drugs that are used for there fields. so who are we to tell them there expertise unless we too are a doctor that has been schooled in the latest drug and body functions..

But Larry what happens when the only time you go to a doc is when you cut pieces off your body like me.:rofl: The last time i went to see a doc was when i broke my leg and dislocated my ankle, Riped the tindons and ligaments. Didn't want to go then but the son insisted. Was off work for over 6 months.:doh:I guess i shoun't be so pig headed.:rofl::rofl:
Steve

But Larry what happens when the only time you go to a doc is when you cut pieces off your body like me.:rofl: The last time i went to see a doc was when i broke my leg and dislocated my ankle, Riped the tindons and ligaments. Didn't want to go then but the son insisted. Was off work for over 6 months.:doh:I guess i shoun't be so pig headed.:rofl::rofl:
Steve

that long ago they still used branding irons to cautrize the cuts and gave you a belt to bite on for pain or some rot gut whiskey:)

well Steve I used to be like you only went to the doctor when I needed to get stitched up. a few years ago I had a persistant cold and sinus infection along with LOML. She dragged me to the DR and while we were there he discovered that my blood pressure was through the roof. I mean a stroke waiting to happen. they had me lay down and administered drug to get it under control and now I see a Dr every year and get a blood work up every year.