Salvage Glote

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
Something told me to go to Tractor Supply yesterday and as is the story of my life, they had sold out of what I was looking for. :rofl:
It was a really pretty day for a short ride so I took the back way home, something I don't do often. Turning on to my street I noticed this pile of junk at the corner house, five houses down and around the curve from my place.
I am just starting to build my shelves, cabinets and counters in the new shop. I was half way to my house before my beady little brain kicked in and registered what it saw.
I had just seen the answer to the counter I wanted to build in the corner under the fuse box.

My "Don't feel like doing much but sit in the shop and play with the laptop, TV, Radio, draw up plans and look out the window, counter." :rofl:

100_1240.jpg

100_1242.jpg

A little glue, a little Windex and a simple box or two with doors and shelves and it will fit just below the windows at 32" high. I am thinking I might add a lower platform to the right under the big windows similar to one used for a MS or RAS and set up my Hegner Scroll saw and the little benchtop drill press.

100_1243.jpg

The best thing about this pilfering forage was when I was trying to heft this thing into my truck. The man next door saw me huffing and puffing and came over to lend a hand. Turns out he walked down and took a look at my shop and then invited me back to look at his. I now have a new friend who is a wood worker just a few houses away. Looks like a nice summer on the way. :thumb:

Ain't having a pickup truck grand? :rolleyes:

DT

You got that right. I sure miss mine. As soon as it works out I am going to get another one. Allen

Allen,
Look on the craiglist. I found a 1996 Dodge truck for a friend that is in great condition. They wanted $2600 and he picked it up for $1800. It looks as good as it runs. (Good that is :rofl:)

DT

Did ya get your neighbor to sign up on the forum? :D Nice find, worked out great for you.

Hi Steve,
Believe it or not, we talked tools and shops for a couple of hours and I didn't think of asking if the man had a computer until I was half way home. :doh:

I intend to go over there tomorrow and invite him to join us. He has some circa 1950's old iron that looks like new. I'll be getting pictures for you folks.
Better yet, if he is a computer person, I'll let him do the gloating. ;)
DT

Nice snag, Don. I've seen a fair number of older cabinets and countertops sitting at the curb around here, but I don;t really have any place to use them in my shop.

10-4 on the pickup, though. I got a hand-me-down pickup a few months ago, and it's sure proven to be handy for carting around the things I don't want to put in the back of my RX-300 SUV.

Nice haul Don. I got a couple of those leftover counters in my office :thumb:

Corner garbage dumps are easier to spot and access than the ol' dumpsters. [Yea I'm a Dumpster Diver ;) ]

Street Dump Diving ? :rofl:

10-4 on the pickup, though. I got a hand-me-down pickup a few months ago, and it's sure proven to be handy for carting around the things I don't want to put in the back of my RX-300 SUV.

I understand that Vaughn. I had a Ford Excursion Limited. I loved driving the thing and it was wonderful on a trip. It was just to pretty to do anything with. :( I was afraid of ripping the leather, scratching the paint, ripping the headliner etc. I bought a second hand pickup but there is only me and keeping two vehicles tagged and insured didn't make sense to me.
I sold them both and got myself a four door Tundra. hehehehehehe :thumb:

DT

Nice haul Don. I got a couple of those leftover counters in my office :thumb:

Corner garbage dumps are easier to spot and access than the ol' dumpsters. [Yea I'm a Dumpster Diver ;) ]

Street Dump Diving ? :rofl:

No problem for me Steve, :rofl: I don't have a proud bone in my body. To quote a friend of mine, "If It's Free, It's for Me" ;)

DT

Way to recycle Don! :thumb:

I've gotten so much good stuff out of the "Gomi" here (garbage) I cannot believe it, they throw away all kinds of good stuff, as everyone suffers from a lack of space, here in Tokyo.

Cheers!

Nice score Don!:thumb:

Gotta tell ya, there are treasures out there to be found. I have 3 great big steel drawer cabinets with full extension glides that were made to hold dress patterns when a local fabric store changed hands.....for $25 each! Not as good as free, but I'm not gonna fight it!:D

Nice catch Don! That Tundra sounds pretty sweet too. Gotta ask, what are the walls in your shop covered with, looks very nice!

Hi Jesse, Thanks for the compliment!
When it came time to put up the sheet rock I started thinking about small tool hangers at the different stations such as this one. (I think I would fancy this up a bit just for kicks.)

RechargingStation.jpg

I really hate pegboard so I told them to bring the sheet rock down to the four-foot mark so the nice bright white would reflect the lighting. Then I put 1/2" Luan plywood in full sheets all the way around. Now for the heavy mounts I can bolt into the studs. For lighter things I can make nice looking holders and small cabinets for router bits and such and just screw them to the plywood. :thumb:
Not only that, I just love wood walls. ;)
When my cabinets and trim are finished, I'll be asking you fellows which finish I should use on those walls. I don't even have the kick plate in place yet. :dunno:

DT

Last edited: