Thread: water, sweet water.....now

water, sweet water.....now

You might recall, a couple months ago I had an emergency situation with water flooding our finished walk-out basement. The finished part is shared with an extra long one car garage we now, laughingly, call my shop. In the shop, right next to my lathe is the well pressure tank and a maze of pipes. When we first moved in here almost eight years ago, I noticed the concrete floor around the tank was a little wet. Paid it no mind believing it was from condensation. In the pipe maze is a whole house filter. From the beginning I had to change the filter every couple weeks. And our water often smelled unpleasant and sulphry.
    Well, the flood revealed the bladder in the pressure tank was leaking. After an after-hours plumbing repair, new tank and about a $1,000.00 tab there is no more water on the floor.
    And, a pleasant surprise, the filter is still in good shape and has barely discolored. And, our water tastes just fine better than ever before.
    We were getting nasties in our water from a small hole in the old bladder that crudded up our pipes and made the water smell.
    Lesson learned: Overlook nothing. If it doesn't look, or smell, right check it out.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

huh a pressure take with a hole in the bladder... I think I now know where to look in my fathers house for the same sulfur smelling water. Was the grime similar to charcoal found in fish tank filters?

Our pressure tank had a leak and we noticed it primarily because we were getting 'fizzy' water in the house, and the pump ran way too much...

The rubber did degrade and left black goo around....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Arndts View Post
    huh a pressure take with a hole in the bladder... I think I now know where to look in my fathers house for the same sulfur smelling water. Was the grime similar to charcoal found in fish tank filters?
    Yes, yes, yes. Stinky and ugly.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire