The Little Plane that Called My Name

LOML told me to stop by a little antiques place near us and look at their old tools, so I went just now and this little plane called my name. I added a couple of things to the photo just to give a sense of scale.

For $10 I liked it enough to hang it on the wall if I can't restore it to working condition.

So you can see it needs work...the bottom (sole) isn't flat and the front vertical piece is splintered. Most importantly what kind of plane is it that cuts on 2 sides?

dec8planec.jpg

dec8planeb.jpg

dec8planed.jpg

dec8plane.jpg

Mo and Larry say a rabbet plane. And Curly here is going to agree with them. Looks like a nice one, with a skewed blade. It might be a dado plane, hard to see the details. Is the knicker intact or missing? If it is present and has 1 spur, then rabbet, if it has 2 spurs, then dado. If missing, dunno.

Last edited:
Mo and Larry say a rabbet plane. And Curly here is going to agree with them. Looks like a nice one, with a skewed blade. It might be a dado plane, hard to see the details. Is the knicker intact or missing? If it is present and has 1 spur, then rabbet, if it has 2 spurs, then dado. If missing, dunno.

Okay, I give up. What's a knicker and what's a spur? I looked around on the net, but couldn't find a definition.

It looks like the plane shown here: scroll down to skewed fillister rabbet plane. But the vertical opening in front has the wooden piece but no blade. Should there be a blade there?

I'm not an expert but to me is a sash plane. It is used to make rabbets and it is missing the spur as someone already mentioned. You can make a new spur easily.
The brass part is to control the depth of the rabbet you want to achieve.