Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking comments on adjustable bullnose edging router bit

Seeking comments on adjustable bullnose edging router bit

This winter I will probably be making about 20 shelving units similar the four that are shown in the attached picture.

Attachment 438

You will notice that, on shelves that I made last winter, I just left the plywood edges. I donít like the wood edging tape that is often used to mask the plywood. I have taken now to gluing on narrow wood strips instead. I just spotted an item called an adjustable bullnose edging router bit in the Lee Valley catalogue and I am looking for advice from anyone who has had experience with such a bit. Here is a link: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,46168,46182
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 11-08-2006 at 02:06 PM.
    Cheers, Frank

Steve Clardy Guest
    I've got one of those in my saved cart there at LV.
    Just haven't bit the bullet yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    I've got one of those in my saved cart there at LV.
    Just haven't bit the bullet yet.
    Steve did you hear anything to cause you to put it into your saved cart, or do you, like me, just think that it has good possibilites?
    Cheers, Frank

Steve Clardy Guest
    It just looked like a good bit to have.

Could you not do the same thing in two passes on a RT with a corner round over bit?

Still, it looks slick, and the ability to shim it to an exact size is good, as we all know how often plywood is EXACTLY 3/4"

Couple of thoughts.

If you are always making a bullnose for a piece of hardwood that will be edge treatment for 3/4" ply, why not just get the right size?

That bit seems neat but I'm trying to understand how you get away without having a ridge in the middle as you seperate the cutters. Maybe it's understood you do and just knock it down somehow.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    Couple of thoughts.

If you are always making a bullnose for a piece of hardwood that will be edge treatment for 3/4" ply, why not just get the right size?
    [QUOTE=Brian Gumpper;2034]
    Right size what what Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    That bit seems neat but I'm trying to understand how you get away without having a ridge in the middle as you seperate the cutters. Maybe it's understood you do and just knock it down somehow.
    Good question.
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Could you not do the same thing in two passes on a RT with a corner round over bit?

Still, it looks slick, and the ability to shim it to an exact size is good, as we all know how often plywood is EXACTLY 3/4"
    Probably but I two pass perations often don't work out as well for me in practice, as they sound like they should in theory. ANyway, right now, I don't own a router table.
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Could you not do the same thing in two passes on a RT with a corner round over bit?...
    I've done a lot of bullnose edges on cutting boards using this approach, but there's always some sanding to do afterwards. One issue I've seen with this method is on the second pass, there's not a lot for the guide bearing on the bit to ride on, since you already rounded over that part. On straight pieces a fence on the RT handles that problem, but I don't use a fence, since the corners of my boards are radiused, too.

Attachment 546

I've tried a full bullnose bit, but I haven't figured out an effective way to do the radiused corners with it. I like the idea of the guide bearing on the adjustable Lee Valley bit. I could use a template to handle the corners. (That's how I get the radiused corners in the first place...straight bearing-guided bit and a corner template. I should take a pic of the template and post it in the Jigs and Fixtures forum.)

I did get some comments from folks who have used this bit on the forum associated with Canadian Woodworking magazine. Some people also threw in some comments on a set of bits used for plywood edging and also available at Lee Valley (see: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...98&cat=1,46168)

The experiences are mixed, but I am convinced that the bits would be too finicky for me to set up properly. So, I will give both the original bit I asked about and the plywood edging bits a miss.

For those wanting more details, see the following thread at Canadian Woodworking: http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/f...ad.php?t=14335
    Cheers, Frank