Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanging/Mounting from/on the Ceiling

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Hanging/Mounting from/on the Ceiling

Hello and good day!

I just got 2 heaters that I need to mount on the ceiling of the garage with brackets. So can you tell me how to do this?

Are there studs in there that I should screw to? Do they run parallel to the house or perpendicular? Can I mount a ledger board up there?

Thanks all,
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Are there studs in there that I should screw to?

- Joists, yes.

Do they run parallel to the house or perpendicular?

- Your stud finder will serve you well to answer this. Have LOYL leave the room so the device is not confused.

Can I mount a ledger board up there?

- If you want. My dad has one of those heaters and just screwed to the joists. They aren't all that heavy but, do have a pull chain, right?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Are there studs in there that I should screw to?

- Joists, yes.

Do they run parallel to the house or perpendicular?

- Your stud finder will serve you well to answer this. Have LOYL leave the room so the device is not confused.

Can I mount a ledger board up there?

- If you want. My dad has one of those heaters and just screwed to the joists. They aren't all that heavy but, do have a pull chain, right?
    Hmmmmmmm a pull chain....never thought of that.....could I just turn it on and off by plugging it/unplugging it? It's going to have to be on a long extension cord anyway until I get an electrician in there......I gotta have some heat before me or my dog drops dead in there.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

your joist up there wil run the same direction as the rafters do,, or at 90 degrees to the ridge. and should be every 2 ft apart.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    your joist up there wil run the same direction as the rafters do,, or at 90 degrees to the ridge. and should be every 2 ft apart.
    Larry i don't know about 2 ft on centers, i'll bet they are 16" on centers.I don't think anything but really cheap starter homes have 2 ft on centers. Could be wrong but with out looking i'd bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Have LOYL leave the room so the device is not confused.

I had a female friend at work. She was relating that she did all the maintenance work around the apartment and they needed to hang up some shelf brackets in the living room. She said she got out her stud sensor, found the studs and attached the brackets.

I asked her if the boyfriend set off the stud sensor. She smiled and said - No he doesn't.

Cheers

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Larry i don't know about 2 ft on centers, i'll bet they are 16" on centers.I don't think anything but really cheap starter homes have 2 ft on centers. Could be wrong but with out looking i'd bet on it.
    I would not bet on that.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Mine are 2' OC

Actually, you're both right. If there is living space above (2 story) the ceiling JOISTS are likely to be 16" OC. If it has attic space above with a truss roof system, 24" OC would be the norm.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I agree on the 24" on center, my house is semi custom and thats how they are.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Mine are 2' OC

Actually, you're both right. If there is living space above (2 story) the ceiling JOISTS are likely to be 16" OC. If it has attic space above with a truss roof system, 24" OC would be the norm.
    Rennie Not sure how they build up in her part of the world. But i do know after 30 plus years of building houses i can count on one hand the times i've put any joist 24 on centers. If you put your joist 24 on center you should put your rafters 24 on center also. that is the reason i said what i said about the cheap starter homes. Not saying hers is this way,just would not let anyone do that on my job site.