1000 linear feet of used pine shelving-free

allen levine

The shelving was put up in 1957-1959.(guesstimate)
Its 3/4 inch, most seems to be 10-12 inches wide, and is 90% nailed together into shelving units with 2x2s at ends and centered.(10-12 feet long?)
I didnt measure anything.
Most of the shelving is just old, but not marred or chipped.
Some of the most used shelving has old price stickers or staples where people stapled on notes, but the bulk of it is just old.
Not as knotty as the cheap pine available today as the borgs lowest quality.
Im guessing theres over 1000 linear feet.(maybe theres only 860 feet, theres alot)
Neatness in taking it down doesnt matter. Denail it, or cut the ends off with a sawzall, no matter to me.
Next Thursday, a rubbish removal service is taking it all down and tossing it.
I guess it becomes landfill by next thursday night:(

Anyone can have as much as they want, or as little, you just have to come to the brooklyn queens border and get it. Easy access, ground level, easy parking usually in front.
For family members, Ill make myself available most times this weekend or next week. You only have till next weds.

Is straight and flat, even though its 50 some years old.

Id denail alot of it and take it if I had room.:(

There is also built in wood shelving, painted over though, but tons of it also put together in the late fifties. I believe its all pine underneath.
There is clean pale green and off white 4x7 sheets of pegboard.(noone wants pegboard, I know)

If anyone in the tristate area or even further feels ambitious, or wants practice wood, or just likes pine, you can have all the 50 year old pine shelving you want for FREE. Bring you hammer or sledgehammer, or saw, or BIL or SIL to help you load it.

Im paying to have it removed, it wont be any cheaper if I give away 500 linear feet, the price has been set and agreed upon. I just thought before it becomes landfill, someone might want to grab some of it.
FREE. (it will just cost you quarters for the meter outside)

(I can no longer offer the steel shelving, part of the carters deal was he is getting the iron to sell as scrap)

Last edited:
I hope it doesnt snow tonight. I took 100 linear feet of 12 inch pine today, and loaded my truck with other stuff like stools, stepstools, mini grid wall, office supplies, and its all laying in the truck open to the weather, Im too washed out and its way too cold outside to even think about unloading it tonight.
I had one guy near me take a few hundred feet of the pine.
I had to cut down most of them, they were 16 footers.
Not many holes, hope I didnt waste my time, at least for now its not going into landfill.

Around where I live, if you had posted that on Craigslist, I think it would be gone in a hurry. Because of age of the communities and the size, there is just not the same amount of salvaged or surplus material that you have around you.

P.S.

And nobody offers anything for free, it all comes a steep and sometimes ridiculous price.

I pulled out 5 boards, tougher to get out since I dont want to scratch my truck up with the nails at the ends, but its around 10 degrees with the windchill, so I decided if it snows, it snows, and thats all there is too it.
Ill move the truck under the tarp/tent when my wife gets home and helps me move the other cars.
This is what the wood looks like.(photo from my office window)
the guy that took wood was thrilled also since I told him take whatever you like except the wooden stool.
He took a 13 inch TV,(old, not cable ready, but in mint condition), 2 bucketfulls of nails, assorted sizes all sorted out,lots of office items, waste baskets, small filing cabinet, chair, folding chairs, blank sign paper, 100s of pens and pencils(all used, but they all work) paper clips, staplers, lights, desk lights, bins, and he is coming back thursday morning to meet me before the deconstruction team/carter gets there because he wants mirrors, lettering, and more of the gondola shelving for his sons basement.
I took 2 smaller sheets of pegboard, but thursday Im going to have the carter put 5 or 6 sheets into my truck and Ill hold onto it, maybe build my son a tool wall in a section of his garage.
Just rubs me the wrong way to just see it all go into a dumpster. Also makes me sad, since I think about all the money Ive spent over the years on pegboard and cruddy pine that I tossed anyway.

stuff in my truck in that pic, the stuff I just tossed over the side when I was leaving. Box of nylon rope, glad trash bags, recycling bags, 2 stools, steel narrow grids(Ill hang one between studs in my garage) some boxes of adding machines, extension cords, power strips, just so much junk in there now.

Attachments

• bed (Medium).jpg
    bed (Medium).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I helped my buddy today,(he needed my pickup and some assistance), take down a wall of slatwall from a store that went under near us and he happenned to ask the owner about some stuff, and the owner told him to come back and help himself.
He grabbed some other odds and ends, like a free standing 4 foot shelving unit and some little things.

for the record, my buddy is a wealthy guy in anyones standards. He just likes a good deal, and free for him or me is a good deal.

He doesnt woodwork at all, but I still ribbed him about not taking any of the pine shelving I had, he said zero use for it, he already had shelves.

Im a bit suprised with so many people talking about how bad things are, and when I log onto craigslist, I see people selling reclaimed or 100 year old pine flooring at a premium, I laugh.

btw, I didnt rip all the pine shelving in the basement, still have Id say 200 linear feet of 6-10 inch pine if anyone is still interested. Only have till end of this month, the building is going to be sold.

Dont let pride get in the way, this is free pine, can be used for blanket chests, tables, furniture, and its free. I dont have anymore room to store pine.
and I thought Id mention it, I have like 20 o 25 plastic bins, milkcrates, some a bit smaller, then smaller bins of assorted sizes I dont need. Right now they are scatter all over my yard some half buried in ice, but after the snow melts, if anyone is interested ofcourse just shoot me a pm if youre in the area. Peghooks and some pegboard are still here in my garage and shed. I keep asking, I dont know why.(just hate to throw things out that can be used)

Last edited:
If I lived closer Allen I'd be all over it. When it comes to wood I have no pride and a project built with pine is way better than a project not getting built waiting on some type of other wood.