Air powered caulk gun

I have a flooring job coming up where I'll have to dispense quite a bit of glue (like liquid nails) and would like to purchase an air powered caulk gun. Can anyone give some recommendations on which one to buy?

I don't expect to need it in the future - it's a one shot job so I don't want to buy the top-of-the-line gun.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Mike

P.S I'm going to be laying some sheeting over an existing floor and attaching it with air driven staples. I'll put the glue down before laying the sheeting to provide a better bond and try to avoid floor squeeks. I'll have one air hose at high pressure (for the staple gun) so I'd like a caulk gun that can take the high pressure - so I can hook up the caulk gun, lay the glue, then switch to the stapler and fasten it down.

Last edited:
No suggestions on the caulk gun, but if it does require a lower pressure, it's pretty easy to mount a mini regulator on the tool so you can dial down the pressure for just that tool. I have one on my HVLP gun. I plug the gun into a 90 psi line, but dial it down to about 20 to 25 psi at the gun.

Wow, I didn't even know they made such things:

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-PL1558-Powered-Caulk/dp/B0009F8936

22 bucks. Cheap at twice the price on a big job like that!

Thanks,

Bill

I have used this piece. It is excellent.:thumb: I needed it for sub-floor adhesive. The secret is to make sure that the caulk, Liquid nails, etc is at the right temperature. If it gets too cold then the gun has a tough time pushing it through. Aside from that......damn it was nice to not have to squeeze that trigger all the time

...... The secret is to make sure that the caulk, Liquid nails, etc is at the right temperature. If it gets too cold then the gun has a tough time pushing it through............

Yep, and if a tube of chaulking goes POP inside the gun, because it is too cold and you just kept cranking up the pressure :doh:Well, by the time you clean it out, with the time wasted and the amount of solvent used, you could have bought a new gun....... :D I did not do this, but I watched a co-worker do this and then get chewed out by the foreman :wave:

Yep, and if a tube of chaulking goes POP inside the gun, because it is too cold and you just kept cranking up the pressure :doh:Well, by the time you clean it out, with the time wasted and the amount of solvent used, you could have bought a new gun....... :D I did not do this, but I watched a co-worker do this and then get chewed out by the foreman :wave:

I had about 10 cases of liquid nails to use up once. I remembering delivering the case 2 days before the job to let the stuff acclimate. Man that must be a mess to clean up if one does go pop!

The gun sounds ok but I think I would rent a screw gun made for flooring & screw it all down if you really want to eliminate squeaks.

Belt & suspenders! Glue it AND screw it! That way you're pretty sure it won't squeak - but do pity the poor sucker that has to remove it later...:(

Yeah, like I did last week!

Just make sure what goes on top looks nice and maybe they won't have to!

Better than a squeaky floor though..

There are so many brands now a days marketing a wide variety of caul guns. There are some which are expensive and for that reason comes with extra pressure holder or with stainless steel finish. Since it is going to be a onetime deal for you, I would have to say that you could simply go with the ordinary type which will withstand high pressure. A Campbell Hausfeld PL 1558 will do the job for you.

There are so many brands now a days marketing a wide variety of caul guns. There are some which are expensive and for that reason comes with extra pressure holder or with stainless steel finish. Since it is going to be a onetime deal for you, I would have to say that you could simply go with the ordinary type which will withstand high pressure. A Campbell Hausfeld PL 1558 will do the job for you.

Welcome to the Family John! :wave: