Hunka Hunka Chunka Wood.......How would you slice it...?

Stuart Ablett

OK, I have this one fairly large chunk of wood from the last Keyaki shrine haul, I wondering how I should proceed here.............??? :huh:

hunka_chunka1.jpg

hunka_chunka2.jpg

hunka_chunka3.jpg

Just over 3 feet long, and has to be near 16" thick or so.

What would you do......? :wave:

You want to cut it so that the pith is in the center of either half. That nay mean that a bowl on one side may be larger than the blank on the other side, but if the pith is off center of the bowl, it dry oval-ed (egg shaped) after you turn. Probably doesn't make sense what I said perhaps someone can better explain.
bowlblank.jpg

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd send it to someone that you know that lives in Indiana.

But hey, thats just me.

Sure thing Doug, shipping will be $2789, PayPal me the cash, and I'll send it :rofl:

Bill, thanks, I have that part figured out, but those are good drawings :thumb:

The lower half of it, I'll just cut and make normal blanks from, should be some good sized bowls.

This wood is Keyaki, which is a kind of Elm, from my own experiances :bang::bang::bang: and from talking to some of the Japanese guys in my local club, you turn this to final dimensions wet, then let it dry and then finish it. Once dry this stuff makes concrete seem soft, and I'm not kidding :(

I'll just end up hacking it apart some how, but I was wondering if there is some way to slice up a crotch in a piece of wood like this, that would yield better results.......:dunno:

Cheers!