Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas came early

Christmas came early

Well it actually didn't but the wife came home tonight with a propane crab cooker for me from wally world. I said that I had wanted one for my turning so she surprised me. She is going in for carpell tunnel surgery tomorrow ( both hands) and I will be totally taking care of her for the next week so she wanted to make sure that she reminds me just how much I love her. No question in my mind but it was a nice gesture. I will post a pic when I get it set up.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Well it actually didn't but the wife came home tonight with a propane crab cooker for me from wally world. I said that I had wanted one for my turning so she surprised me. She is going in for carpell tunnel surgery tomorrow ( both hands) and I will be totally taking care of her for the next week so she wanted to make sure that she reminds me just how much I love her. No question in my mind but it was a nice gesture. I will post a pic when I get it set up.
    I hope it goes good for your wife. Make some chicken soup. A propane crab cooker for your turning? Did I read that right? What, you gonna turn cooked crabs?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Oh I forgot to elaberate on that Here is an article to explain it Cynthia.

http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips...es/boiling.pdf

The crab pot from wally world is only 89 bucks and if you can find an old commercial grade stock pot at a grage sale or on line it works great as the one that comes with it is cheap made in china kind.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Oh and thanks from Janet I know she is really nerveous about the entire thing and doing them both is really going to test our love or at least mine

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    She's going to be FINE. Let me know if you need a good recipe for chicken soup. ;o). When is she home?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

if you can find an old jerry can, you can use that combined with a section of pipe and make a wood steamer as well.

So when you havin' a crab boil?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Arndts View Post
    if you can find an old jerry can, you can use that combined with a section of pipe and make a wood steamer as well.

So when you havin' a crab boil?
    I used a section of plastic drain pipe for a steamer before Andrew when I made my canoe but this will work way better with making the steam.

Be having crab again when I get out with the dive gear. been out looking for a box crab. Limit is one but then ya only need one to make a great meal. Yummmm.

Cynthia, Janet will be in and out tomorrow as the surgery only takes a couple of minutes and then a couple of hrs of observation I think but who knows they may just send her right home. She has been keeping herself busy all day with cleaning the house as you all know how useless we males are when it comes to house work. She keeps forgetting I was a single dad of two boys and my house was imaculate when we met

Congrats on the new cooker. I'll be interested to see what kind of results you get with the boiling routine. I know a lot of guys swear by it.

And best of luck to Janet, too. Let her know there's good thoughts coming her way from all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    ...She keeps forgetting I was a single dad of two boys and my house was imaculate when we met
    I can relate, sort of. About 9 years ago I was in an accident and ended up in the hospital for a couple of weeks. My mom and dad came out to California to check up on me, and they stayed at my house. (I wasn't married at the time, so I lived alone.) They were surprised to find the house clean and in good order, and were certain my fiancee had come over to neaten up before they got there, but that's just the way my house looked most of the time. Not like Better Homes and Gardens perfect, but not like the typical bachelor pad either.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Picture, we need a picture.
    Is a crab pot the same as a stock pot or crawfish boiler?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

If you have the space to boil, I say boil!

The only thing I've heard about it all is that you must make darn sure that the lid does NOT fit too tight, if that big old pot full of hot water and wood if the lid gets stuck on there and builds up some pressure and you happen to try to open it, well, that would not be fun.

Best of luck to your lovely wife, I hope that the surgery turns out great, spoil her rotten!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward