Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drawer Slide Install

Drawer Slide Install

I am building some shop cabinets and I have a question about drawer slide installation. I am planning to build a base cabinet that is 4' wide, divided into two section like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinet.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	52052

Note the red arrow. I want to install drawer slides on either side of the 3/4" partition like in the picture. Is that going to give me any issues? Will the screws run into each other? Should I offset the slides to prevent that? Or, double up the partition?
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

rob on 3/4" side wall thickness yu should be fine but if you offset them just a touch yu will definitely have no trouble.the position on the other drawers wont be noticed..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have cabinets in the shop like this & had no problems screwing them in from both sides of a 3/4" partition.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Ditto on what the others said. I use 1/2" screws made for drawer slides. Some of the length is taken by the slide itself. The points of the screws will pass by each other inside the panel.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Thanks guys. Thought I'd be ok but just wanted to be sure.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Rob i cannot comment since i dont have the know how but i am delighted to see you posting and around. I got a real kick out of your work. I know it is a great deal of effort to post your work but please keep at it. All i could offer to comment is atta boys and well i find that wears a little thin after a while so dont think we aint reading them.

I wont go into how i thought to solve this problem Lets just say Larrys line would have come into play
    cheers

The slides I use have multiple holes to choose from. On center panels I just don't use the holes directly across from each other(?).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Even if you're using 3/4" screws, the chances of them hitting exactly point to point is pretty slim. Not a big deal if they hit each other at a glance either.

The only time I've ran into issues doing something like this, its almost a separate deal, but its when I use the 6.3mm euro screws, and they hit. Then you're outta options other than grinding down a couple of screws, or getting the right length.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Just my .02 cents. I build my shop cabinets similar to that. I hate it and wished I would have just built all drawers and forgot the doors. Essentially pullout shelves are drawers. Why do you want the extra step of having to open doors to pullout the drawer or pullouts. Just more wasted movement.

I'm currently building some new kitchen cabinets for myself and the base are mostly drawers with out doors. My pot and pan cabinet is 4' long and will be all drawers.
    Last edited by Richard McComas; 12-11-2010 at 02:02 AM.

Richard:

I don't know your scenario, but something I've been pushing for with my customers is doing basically all drawers in the bases for the past few years for the reasons you just said.
    Doing a big ol' bank of drawers can get semi boring though, so I started to stagger the widths of the drawers. It makes a serious pain as you have to have multiple decks, but I like the look.

You can't see this well in this picture. I was installing it today, I'll take some finished pics, when its painted and done though. There's three drawers at the top, four in the center section, and three at the bottom. The wackier you go the better in my opinion.

or stack a deep drawer over a shallow drawer. Why? Just because its unique.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda