Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally finished the cocobolo box

Finally finished the cocobolo box

I glued up some Cocobolo blanks from LV so that I could try it out. I love this wood as it has such a shine to it when it is buffed out. Anyways I hollowed this out the best that I could and made a cap for it and one spike for the top. I have another one to make for the bottom , but I am not sure if I like the color contrasts or the materials that I am using. (Horse chestnut and ornimental cherry) I am still on the fence with regards to the design too of the cap and finnel. Any suggestions? Comments? I appreciate the input. I was thinking of building an external stand for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pot 001.JPG  
    Last edited by Drew Watson; 12-17-2010 at 05:07 AM.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    I glued up some Cocobolo blanks from LV so that I could try it out. I love this wood as it has such a shine to it when it is buffed out. Anyways I hollowed this out the best that I could and made a cap for it and one spike for the top. I have another one to make for the bottom , but I am not sure if I like the color contrasts or the materials that I am using. (Horse chestnut and ornimental cherry) I am still on the fence with regards to the design too of the cap and finnel. Any suggestions? Comments? I appreciate the input. I was thinking of building an external stand for it.

Don't care for the pinkish spike on the top. Doesn't work with the strong grain below. What if the spike was the same cocobolo with that white ring separating it?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Don't care for the pinkish spike on the top. Doesn't work with the strong grain below. What if the spike was the same cocobolo with that white ring separating it?
    I was thinking the same thing Art so I went and picked up another block of cocobolo to do it. ( my other block is missing in the shop somewhere) The ornimental cherry was just something I had on hand to play with on the design. I have never turned a finnel before. I am not happy with the design of it anyways. I also have to figure a way to sand the deep inside of the form as my fingers just don't reach far enough.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Real pretty hollow form, Drew. I agree that the tri-color approach doesn't seem to fit on this piece. I think My personal preference would be a black (ebony, or dyed hardwood) collar and finial (and base, for that matter). If you do go with the cocobolo finial, then I still think a black collar would look better than the light collar. I've just never been real fond of light woods when contrasting with nicely-figured darker woods like cocobolo.

On the inside sanding issue, I usually don't worry too much about the parts I can't touch, but if you've got tool marks and such that you'd like to remove, you can use a pair of hemostats to hold a wad of padding with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around it. I use this with the lathe running, but I'm careful to not put my fingers in the finger holes on the hemostats.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Drew that is a nice looking HF. I have to agree that I would dye the finial black myself. I think that would make it stand out. I don't care for the tri-color.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking HF!
    I also agree that a black finial would look best.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    That Cocobolo is beautiful.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Thanks for the input. I had been thinking along those lines the more that I have looked at it but just wasn't sure. So do you think it would look funny if the top was a combination of black and cocobolo for the finial?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    ...So do you think it would look funny if the top was a combination of black and cocobolo for the finial?
    Combinations like that can look good. Here are a few examples:

From Keith Burns...

http://woodturnersamerica.org/index....lery&Itemid=54

From Robin Costelle...

http://woodturnersamerica.org/index....lery&Itemid=64

These all follow a similar theme, but there are other ways the top and finial can incorporate contrasting woods.

BTW, you can browse around the galleries at http://woodturnersamerica.org/ to see all sorts of finial design ideas.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

pre noob to finials myself, but to my eye sometimes the simplest forms and combinations are the most elegant. Too busy without mastery of color and form doesnt work for me. The basic form is a super start!