Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reason to move south

reason to move south

Despite a travel advisory, the LOML was supposed to be at work at 5:30. at 4:30 she gets up, shovels out (trying to let me sleep). warms up the car and tries to roll through the plow tailings at the end of the driveway and gets hung up. 2 hours later with some help from her ex hubby, we got the car rocked out of the spot.

just about the time I got the newest photos uploaded, the LOML walks in. she got about 2 miles and spun out. No harm no foul, jangled nerves. once she collected herself she slid back home. More shoveling and I put the car back in the driveway.

Truck? what truck?

-Ned

That is a lot of snow, not sure I have ever seen that much snow. Not sure I would mind though because then I could stay home and do wood work instead of coming work.
    Rise above the rest

Times like this what we all got to realize that good old Mom nature sometimes dictates that we stay home, work can wait.

When it snows like that, I don't care what kind of great snow vehicle you own, or if you are a VERY good snow driver, you should stay home. (not a slam at your wife Ned).

It amazes me how often people go out in conditions like this for something that is not really important, and then they end up pranging up their car, or getting hurt.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I don't envy you Ned, snow wise that is. We don't have near that amount here and I'd be screwed if we did cause that nice big shiny John Deere I bought for plowing snow in the winter....well I let my son use it last fall, he washed it and brought it back. Very thoughtful, except he got water in a cable that controls the three point hitch (blade) and it is frozen in the down position. No heat out in that barn, so I either pray for a little snow, or somehow unfreeze that tractor.

Stay warm and stay safe...you are newlyweds, cuddle!

I feel your pain Ned I grew up in the Finger Lakes region myself. Funny thing is when I was growing up I just figured the whole world was like that, ah to be naive. It's funny how you just get used to the snow and carry on with life. Other parts of the country just don't understand it. If they shut down every time it snowed up there you'd be closed from October to April!

Here in the south all they have to do is say the word "snow" and folks go crazy, they empty the store shelfs, cancel schools/work etc before the first flake falls! God forbid it actually snows, then the fun really starts Really! it's comical.

On the other hand you have all the equipment to deal with the snow too, here when it snows we just wait for it to melt in a day or two. Except for the major roads, nothing gets plowed, we just don't have the equipment. Then again, it only snows a inch or two once every year or two

Nope, don't miss it a bit, my parents were firm believers in child labor. We didn't own a snow blower, they had two boys I shoveled more than enough snow out of our 200' driveway to last me a lifetime and then some.

Mike

Hey!? Where is all that GLOBAL WARMING when you need it??

Yesterday here in Sacramento it was almost 70.

Years ago we spoke at a church in the foothills on the first snow day of the year. There are 4 in our family and we DOUBLED the attendance that day. LOL
    Last edited by Hubert Carle; 02-16-2007 at 01:20 PM.

I just looked up "snow" in the dictionary. Combining the definition and your photos I am starting to get a feel for what snow is. Thanks!

Have to run now----need to pick up some chlorine for the pool.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 02-16-2007 at 02:05 PM.

Is this where we in Arkansas start gloating?
    Jokes aside, that snow situation is dramatic and serious. Hope y'all are well.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    I just looked up "snow" in the dictionary. Combining the definition and your photos I am starting to get a feel for what snow is. Thanks!

Have to run now----need to pick up some chlorine for the pool.
    Yes, but I bet Ned can count on one hand the times in the last 200 years they had to deal with hurricanes and tornadoes!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Ned,
    Come on down! Plenty of room in the sunbelt for more woodworkers.

Except for an occasional crazy storm, our snow is generally gone by noon the next day. The roads are clear, but we can see the beautiful snow on the mountain a few miles away (good place for it ).
    Don't believe everything you think!