I would agree that in normal circumstances they would go up, but there is so much going on with that, they could go either way, personal preference on those. but on the last pic is sure looks good in that direction:thumb:

Larry, I think the problem is, your panels each have two cathedrals in them, orientated 180 degrees from one another. I think you need to determine which arch is the dominate one on the panel and orientate that one where it looks the best. I would say that in general, the cathedrals should open at the bottom and peak at the top, but rules are made to be broken.

ok kalea, if the purty one needs to go with the other ned up then the other side should as well..take a look at the other one and see if yu agree:D:thumb:

so yu mean like this then:)
attachment.php

Without having all the pics lined up next to each other I am not sure about the rest.... but *I* definitely like *this* panel the way it is in *this* post,
that is of course my opinion and we all know those tend to be "different", best to go with your gut though since you are the one standing in front of all the pieces =)

Last edited:
Can't go with an article by a "respected" cabinet maker. It's just his opinion of what "he" thinks looks best.
And in my opinion the pic of the cabinet you posted would look just as good with them the other way.
What would look bad is if some pointed up and some down.:thumb:

I think the best solution would be to just send those disfigured cutting boards to me, and go get yourself some nice, straight-grained walnut to replace them. Heck, I'll even pay for the shipping, 'cause that's just the kind of guy I am. :rofl:

To my eye, the darkest part of the grain forms the dominant cathedral, so even though I like the "V" shape when the knots are on the top, I'd go with this direction:

tn_purty panel.jpg

But I gotta agree with Muffin...either way would look good. :p

Can't go with an article by a "respected" cabinet maker. It's just his opinion of what "he" thinks looks best.
And in my opinion the pic of the cabinet you posted would look just as good with them the other way.
What would look bad is if some pointed up and some down.:thumb:

thankyou.

Im tired of reading this is the right way to run the grain.

Integrity issues, ok, looksies, no way.

The right way is what makes the furniture maker happy. Period.

Maybe in 300 years from now, or maybe next year, some new furniture maker will say, hey, lets turn the panels this way, the Merlau style.

I vote for the panel the way you showed it initially.

The knots and grain to me show off better that way.

Consider this. You walking up to the unit and see the panels. Your eye is looking down towards the base and the anchoring part in the panel is the heavy looking area at the bottom of the v to me that should be near the floor. So i am with the way Vaughn posted.:thumb: As you get closer to the unit if the v is the other way around at the top then imho you would start to loose sight of the beauty of the grain on the panel.

All this fuss over a night stand:doh:
Now if that stand is next to the bed on one side and the wall on the other them panels may just as well be blue. All your gonna see is the front:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: