Hollowing Deep and wide

Dan Mosley

Had most of the last couple days free and cut up and sealed some of the wood I got. They say it is Walnut but it did not look it but smelled like it. Either way I had a chance to put a pc on the lathe and turn it.

The first pc I put on and turned was a large blank. I used my Monster rig in the beginning but then switched over to my D-arm hollowing rig with a larger bar for the deeper hollowing. I started with a straight bar and 3/16" tip and did alot of the hogging with this bar. Then changed over to a goose neck with tear drop scrapper that I made out of old saw blade. It worked very well but I had to sharpen it several times before I completed the hollowing. The walls turned out very smooth to the touch - and with very light cuts as i hollowed and feathering there was not any need to sand much.

Question - where can I buy HSS round that I can just cut my own tear drop cutter from ??? Anybody have any ideas.

Pictures 1-2 :::: 12" wide and 9 1/2" tall was the dimensions of. It has 2 thin coats of tung oil and is drying - then back to the lathe for wet sanding with some more tung oil (maybe 3 more coats or so), then inside to dry for several weeks. Then I will probably buff it with WD and Renissance or spray Laquer for final finish.

Pictures 3-4 :::: Smaller open mouth vase with a natural edge - ran out of time so i sprayed it with some soapy water in and out and put a plastic bag over it for the next couple days until I can finish it.

Pictures 5-6 :::: Olive wood vessel - 7" tall and 9" wide - finished

Attachments

• Vase-2.jpg
    Vase-2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Vase-4.jpg
    Vase-4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Vase-1.jpg
    Vase-1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Vase-3.jpg
    Vase-3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Vase-5.jpg
    Vase-5.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Vase-6.jpg
    Vase-6.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 61
Those are some nice pieces. Love the sapwood with the heartwood walnut. I think it's very complementary. Nice work - happy hallowing!
mj