Palm router worthwhile?

I have that same one and the Dewalt one.:thumb:
I use them all the time and there size makes them great for trimming laminate:thumb::thumb:
The price is fare on that with free shipping. I think my Dewalt was 79 bucks.

I was just looking them over and noticed this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16819
Down in the corner. It's 40 bucks more but if it was me doing the buying I would really look at it hard. You can get the round base for it that takes collars. :thumb: And the base attaches to the router a whole lot better than just the one thumb screw on the PC.:thumb:
Just me 2 cents worth but what do I know:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those are good points Chuck, but what was tempting me was the low price on the P-C. Dunno, I'm not sure I need what this tool does. I do my roundovers and chamfer with a plane, for the most part, and have bigger routers for larger work. I don't foresee much laminate in my future, and again the big boys can deal with that.

Your right Ken the big boys can do the trimming. The best part of one of these is the big boys will trim to with in 3 or so inches from the wall and these will come with in a inch or so. A lot less hand filing :thumb:
So I would say that it really is just not worth the money for you to get one.:thumb:

i have the bosch ken and like it alot,, but if you do your small profiles by hand then maybe the use doesnt match the spending.. i got mine when things were better and have used it alot previously.. but not as much latly. the round base is nice but the pat warner offset base is better for stable work..

Like Larry, I have the Colt (Bosch) and use it regularly. As my collection of routers has grown (8 now :eek:) I find that I prefer to set a router with a particular bit and just leave it that way. For example, if someone were to mess with the router that I have set with a dovetail bit adjusted for my half-blind jig, it would just about ruin my day. Same goes for certain round overs or straight cutting bits.

i heard that peter, on the settings for the dovetail jigs i have them wrote down and if my grand daughter came in and messed with the router that was set up for it, well i would be needing a new grand daughter:) took to long to get it dialed in the first time:) now its just chisel and mallet usually:)

Ken i am so glad you asked this question.:thumb: I have had those burning a hole in my head for so long.

Why not add a poll to the thread to check on votes for the different ones.

Chuck I have your unit but I always saw that as just a zip saw for drywall. :doh: Never thought that it could be used for trimming. But how does one steady it. On a router i can see adding in the brass guide template or using a bearing on the trimming bit but on the sheetrock zip saw its collet is too small for the router bits no?:dunno:

Chuck I have your unit but I always saw that as just a zip saw for drywall. :doh: Never thought that it could be used for trimming. But how does one steady it. On a router i can see adding in the brass guide template or using a bearing on the trimming bit but on the sheetrock zip saw its collet is too small for the router bits no?:dunno:
coped from the link
Dewalt DW660SK Specifications:

* Amps: 5.0 Amps
* No Load Speed: 30,000 rpm
* Collet Diameter: 1/8, 1/4 Inch
* Adjustable Guide: Yes
* Spindle Lock: Yes
* Tool Length: 10 Inch
Rob notice the collet size. Router bit shanks come in both those sizes:thumb:
As for steadying it it has a base not a huge base but a base none the less.:thumb:
Mine has a fluting bit in it right now. I had to do some in a project and setting up one of the big routers with the bit would have meant the straight line jig I made to do the job would have had to be 3 times as big as the board that I was putting the flutes in.:thumb:

I have two older, single-speed Bosch's. Bought them both used, at a garage sale. I use them a lot - mostly with small round-over or chamfer bits. Much handier for that than breaking out the bigger P-C or Hitachi units.

Ken i am so glad you asked this question.:thumb: I have had those burning a hole in my head for so long.

Why not add a poll to the thread to check on votes for the different ones.

Rob,
I have the Bosch Roto Zip and it actually has 3 collect sizes. the largest is 1/4 so you can use it as a small router, there even a plunge base you can get for it.

I've run the VS Colt hard for about 3 years. I had the frequently reported collet lock failure right off and now use the second wrench Bosch provided free after the repair. I added the Pat Warner offset base with a PC collar sized hole. What a little workhorse. As has been stated in other threads; if Bosch made a plunge base for the Colt they would be back ordered the first day due to instant sales overwhelming their expectation.

Attachments

• Colt-offset.jpg
    Colt-offset.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 14