Twist and shout

Chris Hatfield

Former Member (by the member's request)
I know the SOP for getting cupping and twisting out of boards is to mill it flat. But what about when you're already at the desired thickness?

I wanted to put together a quick project - a replacement cabinet door for my mom. The one in place got water damage and she's looking for a quick replacement until all the cabinets get replaced in a couple if years. Spotting an opportunity to hone my craft an use some bits I have yet to play with, I took up the challenge of making an exact copy.

Everything is fine so far except the cheap poplar I bought at the Despot is slightly twisted. On a 23" long section of 3/4"x6", I get a deflection of about 3/16". Over a 2" width for the stile, I would guess it would be about 1/16".

What to do? Should I try to get some of it out in the piece I have, or rip it down near my final dimensions and do it then? Then joint and be on my merry way?

A point of note, since it's so cold outside I thought I should keep the wood inside the house as much as possible to approximate the final destination humidity. Good idea?

The following has helped me greatly and led to a more pleasurable woodworking experience in my life ;):

I know the SOP for getting cupping and twisting out of boards is to mill it flat. But what about when you're already at the desired thickness?
Answer 1: Make a new one.

I took up the challenge of making an exact copy.
Answer 2: I have learned to only offer this type of help in special circumstances. This sounds like one I would have taken on. Good for you. :thumb:

Everything is fine so far except the cheap poplar I bought at the Despot is slightly twisted.
Answer 3: I never buy any wood products (including dowels) from the BORG that I plan to rely on.
What to do? Should I try to get some of it out in the piece I have, or rip it down near my final dimensions and do it then? Then joint and be on my merry way?
Answer 4: "See Answer 1"

A point of note, since it's so cold outside I thought I should keep the wood inside the house as much as possible to approximate the final destination humidity. Good idea?

Answer 5: Acclimating wood is a good idea. I kept material for a couple of nightstands under the bed for a few months; worked out great.

Addendum to Answer 5: I live in a very moderate climate and rarely run the heat or the air conditioning. Forced air of either kind is very drying. If your material is too wet, this could cause undesirable results.

another vote on making anew one,, stiles and rails wont come back,, if they are crooked they will stay that way or get worse. i just recently made some panels for the project i am on now.. and had them warp or cup some fortunately i had them over size in all directions..and was bale to flatten after there accumulation in the shop area.. but one i had to re-wet and re-dry with weight.. but that was a panel not a rail or stile..those are different critters all together

I'll have to look at my scraps to see if I have anything useable. The stock was already 3/4" when I bought it.

I've usually avoided the big box stores, but unfortunately the lumber yard and -working stores don't keep parent-friendly hours. I was hoping for this small of a project I could make it work.

I may try to clamp the board overnight and see if anything changes, because if it doesn't, I couldn't pick up any new stock until then anyway.

but unfortunately the lumber yard and -working stores don't keep parent-friendly hours.

Amen to that. I wish there were enough of us home woodworkers out there to make some of the lumber yards consider keeping a light crew on Sundays :(. Even though my yards are open Saturday, it is amazing how often life plots against me being able to make it till Sunday. :D

Amen to that. I wish there were enough of us home woodworkers out there to make some of the lumber yards consider keeping a light crew on Sundays :(. Even though my yards are open Saturday, it is amazing how often life plots against me being able to make it till Sunday. :D

Well stated. Thankfully it wasn't too cold in the shop today with the doors closed.

Something else that plots against me sometimes is the sheer size of the materials. Great for my wallet, but getting sheets of ply home does require a bit of planning ahead. If the trailer isn't available, a project can get delayed for over a week.

I may have to try and find a collapsable trailer in the future. Putting it on top of the CRV doesn't work.

Well, as it turns out I had the opposite profile bit in mind. Good thing I went over and checked again.

I believe it was as I first thought - a bead attached to the inside. I think.

I really wish I could take this door apart, it would be so much easier.

WhenI am making cabinet doors, I will mill up extra rail and stiles. I let them sit over night and then use the ones that dont move or only moved very little. Then finish the milling.

On a related note, a piece of 1/2" ply I bought twisted like a Go-Go dancer. Is that trash as well?

I won't be able to get you a picture of the door until Wednesday. But here is a close example.

1862d0f9-d24d-7770.jpg

It's like a roundover with a bearing, but it extends through the rail.